Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionMechanical

Default How do you handle a HAZ?

"Cliff" wrote in message
On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 23:18:09 -0700, "PrecisionMechanical"
wrote:

"Cliff" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 22:18:50 -0700, "PrecisionMechanical"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

They are still hot..and the one closed to the hatch has a thick

layer
of something black on the outside..and a gentle tap broke much of it
loose..and it looks like a gravel road underneith it. All bumps and
whatnot. I think this is some sort of scale.....cringe...

Maybe wrap em in copper or stainless foil first.....IIRC this helps

keep
all
the carbon from outgassing to the surface.....

LOL ... or an inert atmosphere ...
Beware a reducing one except for specially designed heating devices
(now I wonder how Michael's slip-cast-in-silicone-rubber clay is drying

...)

****. I never suggested that he should put it into an electric furnace,

then
"promptly forget about it"

--as it is, the "woodstove suggestion" was...err...questionable...

A pretty good way to end up with "low carbon steel" in either case

though...

Reverse carburization? I'm not so certain as the Carbon is more
soluable in Iron as it gets hotter. Not my field though.

I just recalling old-timers throwing oaken logs into the melt.

Spose he might a learned anything from this all ???

Spend less time posting winger-propaganda & more time
watching the free eggs?

Not MY call as to WHAT others SHOULD better do with THEIR time.

Otherwise, might I suggest that you could.........

--

SVL

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 23:18:09 -0700, "PrecisionMechanical"
wrote:

"Cliff" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 22:18:50 -0700, "PrecisionMechanical"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

They are still hot..and the one closed to the hatch has a thick layer
of something black on the outside..and a gentle tap broke much of it
loose..and it looks like a gravel road underneith it. All bumps and
whatnot. I think this is some sort of scale.....cringe...

Maybe wrap em in copper or stainless foil first.....IIRC this helps keep

all
the carbon from outgassing to the surface.....

LOL ... or an inert atmosphere ...
Beware a reducing one except for specially designed heating devices
(now I wonder how Michael's slip-cast-in-silicone-rubber clay is drying

...)

****. I never suggested that he should put it into an electric furnace, then
"promptly forget about it"

Oh..you should have warned against it. My lawyer will be in contact
with you shortly.

--as it is, the "woodstove suggestion" was...err...questionable...

Actually a very good idea. Ive annealed railroad track sections this
way to make anvils.

A pretty good way to end up with "low carbon steel" in either case though...

Lumpy low carbon steel.....

Spose he might a learned anything from this all ???

Yup..I should have used the bandsaw instead...sigh

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 23:51:58 -0700, "PrecisionMechanical"
wrote:

"Cliff" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 23:24:37 -0700, "PrecisionMechanical"
wrote:

Wrap them else also add some charcoal.

IIRC That sounded like softening/drooping + oxidation scale ....

IIRC ~1500 ~1700 or so as being critical--NOT 2100 deg.

Almost hadda compleat meltdown, would appear.

Prit nearly. Fortunately..I have one more piece of 1.25" steel
left..about 18" long..and 14" wide. This is not going to be fun
cutting it out on the bandsaw..but Im not using the fire axe on it.

There more than enough steel there to make a full set of fingers for
the DiAcro finger brake..just cutting it to size is gonna be a
challenge. Ive got a 7x12 bandsaw.......

I could I suppose..use the 16" Walker Turner vertical bandsaw with a
6t blade..but it will still take a while.......

Gunner

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

wrote:

Almost hadda compleat meltdown, would appear.

Which time VBG?
--
Clif