Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Default Detachable Welder Leads

I have a Lincoln 225 AC/DC arc welder that I would like to make
detachable leads for. Currently the leads currently used are
permanently attached to the welder. Has anyone done this before and if
so, how did you do it? I would like to attach some type of socket
connector to the welder so one could plug/unplug the leads. I am also
looking at making some extention leads for the welder so I would want
similar in-line connectors used to be available to make the extenstion
set.

Any suggestions, leads or (hint, hint) links to pictures would be
great.

Thanks

TMT

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I have a Lincoln 225 AC/DC arc welder that I would like to make
detachable leads for. Currently the leads currently used are
permanently attached to the welder. Has anyone done this before and if
so, how did you do it? I would like to attach some type of socket
connector to the welder so one could plug/unplug the leads. I am also
looking at making some extention leads for the welder so I would want
similar in-line connectors used to be available to make the extenstion
set.

Any suggestions, leads or (hint, hint) links to pictures would be
great.

Thanks

TMT

Go to your local welding supply store and get sets of the Tweco camlock
connectors. They are the norm for the application although the DINSE
Euro type show up from time to time.

Pete C.
Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On 1 Apr 2006 09:37:11 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

I have a Lincoln 225 AC/DC arc welder that I would like to make
detachable leads for. Currently the leads currently used are
permanently attached to the welder. Has anyone done this before and if
so, how did you do it? I would like to attach some type of socket
connector to the welder so one could plug/unplug the leads. I am also
looking at making some extention leads for the welder so I would want
similar in-line connectors used to be available to make the extenstion
set.

Any suggestions, leads or (hint, hint) links to pictures would be
great.

Thanks

TMT

The local welding supplier will have just what you want. Also, an auto
parts store or good hardware store. Forney welding products are sold
at many good hardware stores and they make what you want. If the goal
is to build it yourself you can still see what works. Bring your
calipers, pencil, and paper to make a dimensioned sketch.
ERS
Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Lincoln 225 AC/DC arc welder that I would like to make
detachable leads for. Currently the leads currently used are
permanently attached to the welder. Has anyone done this before and if
so, how did you do it? I would like to attach some type of socket
connector to the welder so one could plug/unplug the leads. I am also
looking at making some extention leads for the welder so I would want
similar in-line connectors used to be available to make the extenstion
set.

Any suggestions, leads or (hint, hint) links to pictures would be
great.

Thanks

TMT

Go to any welding supplier and tell them what you want to do. As mentioned
before, twist connectors are a snap. What is not mentioned is that you must
be aware of voltage drop that is related to the size and length of cables.
Get the right cables, don't make them too long and not too thin/fat. Info
at the shop, or online at Lincoln Welding.

Steve

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I have a Lincoln 225 AC/DC arc welder that I would like to make
detachable leads for. Currently the leads currently used are
permanently attached to the welder. Has anyone done this before and if
so, how did you do it? I would like to attach some type of socket
connector to the welder so one could plug/unplug the leads. I am also
looking at making some extention leads for the welder so I would want
similar in-line connectors used to be available to make the extenstion
set.

It's a lot easier (and cheaper) to buy one that has detachable leads in the
first place. They all used to, then Lincoln cheaped out on their tombstone, and
so for awhile the Miller Thunderbolt was the only one with detachable leads. Now
even the Miller Thunderbolt cheaped out.

Detachable leads are the only way to go. Makes for much much neater putaway,
which is very important in a home shop.

GWE

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

I done that to my Lincoln ACDC225 years ago, and never regretted it. I
used standard twist lock connectors, fastened in the hole they
oriignal leads came out of. Worked like a champ.

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....
Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus26172

On 1 Apr 2006 09:37:11 -0800, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I have a Lincoln 225 AC/DC arc welder that I would like to make
detachable leads for. Currently the leads currently used are
permanently attached to the welder. Has anyone done this before and
if so, how did you do it? I would like to attach some type of socket
connector to the welder so one could plug/unplug the leads. I am
also looking at making some extention leads for the welder so I
would want similar in-line connectors used to be available to make
the extenstion set.

Any suggestions, leads or (hint, hint) links to pictures would be
great.

Try Pearson SK-50 and BK-50 connectors, like ebay item

2566780995

Thanks

TMT

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Aren't Tweco camlocks DINSE?

http://www.welding-direct.com/dinstylcabqu.html

I'm confused.

TMT

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Aren't Tweco camlocks DINSE?

http://www.welding-direct.com/dinstylcabqu.html

I'm confused.

TMT

The Tweco "Weldskill" type are the camlocks. They are also cheaper than
the DINSE type, note the "Weldskill" are sold as a complete set where
the DINSE are individual components. Camlocks are also commonly use in
the theater / film / video world for power feeds so you can get them
from those supply houses as well.

Pete C.
Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Lincoln 225 AC/DC arc welder that I would like to make
detachable leads for. Currently the leads currently used are
permanently attached to the welder. Has anyone done this before and if
so, how did you do it? I would like to attach some type of socket
connector to the welder so one could plug/unplug the leads. I am also
looking at making some extention leads for the welder so I would want
similar in-line connectors used to be available to make the extenstion
set.

Any suggestions, leads or (hint, hint) links to pictures would be
great.

Thanks

TMT

Another solution that has not been mentioned .......... one that I went to
on my Miller Thunderbolt after getting a lot of jobs doing metal studs for
the Government .................

I got tired of stringing out a lot of lead. I put a longer extension cord
on the welder. Easier than stringing leads that get cut/damaged.

Just a thought.

STeve

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

I redid mine a couple years back. Head for your welding supply place.
You can get jacks in both red and black as well as matching plugs. Jack
were about $8 ea, plug ends a bit less. I got the Lincoln style plugs,
the Tweco twist lock were more money.

Good time to change out your cables. I find that the cables are a bit
short and that stinger cable is usually longer than the ground. Switch
the stinger cable to be your new ground cable, get a new and longer
cable for the stinger. I find that a 15' ground cable and a 25' stinger
cable works for me. Long enough to be useful, short enough to keep the
losses down.

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I have a Lincoln 225 AC/DC arc welder that I would like to make
detachable leads for. Currently the leads currently used are
permanently attached to the welder. Has anyone done this before and if
so, how did you do it? I would like to attach some type of socket
connector to the welder so one could plug/unplug the leads. I am also
looking at making some extention leads for the welder so I would want
similar in-line connectors used to be available to make the extenstion
set.

Any suggestions, leads or (hint, hint) links to pictures would be
great.

Thanks

TMT

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

[...]

also check with forklift companies. The battery connectors from
electric forklifts can and are used to great effect for making up
extensions leads. And for jump starting cars and big rigs and so forth

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking
John Miller

One of the reasons that Miller changed to solid connections insead of the
tapered plug/socket, is that users would leave them connected all the time,
and not clean the connection. Which would lead to corrosion, overheating
and potential problems all abd generally leading to liability on Milllers
part.

The lawyers at work again, not to mention that a bolted connection requires
fewer parts, less expense, more profit.

All this from my Millers rep.

--
J Miller
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Lincoln 225 AC/DC arc welder that I would like to make
detachable leads for. Currently the leads currently used are
permanently attached to the welder. Has anyone done this before and if
so, how did you do it? I would like to attach some type of socket
connector to the welder so one could plug/unplug the leads. I am also
looking at making some extention leads for the welder so I would want
similar in-line connectors used to be available to make the extenstion
set.

Any suggestions, leads or (hint, hint) links to pictures would be
great.

Thanks

TMT

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking
KyMike

My old Lincoln motor-generator set uses a heavy copper lug on a
threaded copper stud terminal for each lead. Simple, low cost and no
voltage drop problems if the lugs are kept clean. You might use this
arrangement, maybe with a wing nut substituted for the hex nuts, if you
want to speed up disconnecting the leads.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan

What's that Lassie? You say that Too_Many_Tools fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by 1 Apr 2006 09:37:11 -0800:

I have a Lincoln 225 AC/DC arc welder that I would like to make
detachable leads for. Currently the leads currently used are
permanently attached to the welder. Has anyone done this before and if
so, how did you do it? I would like to attach some type of socket
connector to the welder so one could plug/unplug the leads. I am also
looking at making some extention leads for the welder so I would want
similar in-line connectors used to be available to make the extenstion
set.

Any suggestions, leads or (hint, hint) links to pictures would be
great.

http://www.powerwerx.com/product.asp...547&CtgID=3021

Good for 350 amps. They are used on electric forklifts. Other sizes
available too.
--

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 23:51:16 GMT, (dan) wrote:

[...]

Yep. A local surplus place has a 55 gallon bucket full of these..IRRC
$5 each. Ill check if anyone wants some

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams

Lincoln SA200 Welder BFR Metalworking 24 May 5th 16 11:50 PM
Jump leads -- a cautionary tale news UK diy 78 October 26th 05 09:22 AM
Stryco blade welder Jim Levie Metalworking 18 December 17th 04 08:54 PM
Garage welder wiring questions Tom Gardner Metalworking 4 September 26th 03 06:51 PM
Garage welder wiring questions Tom Kendrick Metalworking 1 September 26th 03 12:56 AM