Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 90 Weight Gear Oil Damaging Brass and Bronze?

Someone in the Yahoo 4x6 bandsaw group said they know for a fact that
automotive type 90 weight gear lube will attack brass and bronze if
used in machine tools. Has anyone heard of such a thing? I was going to
use Mobil 1 EP Hypoid Gear Oil (SAE 140) in my Clausing 8540.

Thanks, Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
*

Chas wrote in article ...

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Someone in the Yahoo 4x6 bandsaw group said they know for a fact that
automotive type 90 weight gear lube will attack brass and bronze if
used in machine tools. Has anyone heard of such a thing? I was going

use Mobil 1 EP Hypoid Gear Oil (SAE 140) in my Clausing 8540.

Thanks, Steve

I used it for years in a hydraulic bandsaw downfeed until I found out

it
is only
about as viscous as 30 weight motor oil. The downfeed was made

entirely
of
brass parts, which suffered no ill effects from the exposure. I think

the
yahoo
guy was fullovit.

GWE

It is likely true that an EP gear oil will attack copper based components

in
machinery. EP mineral oils with a rating of GL-5 have this

characteristic,
which is a powerful oxidising additive to create a scuff resistant

surface
on gear teeth. It is normally used in automotive hypoid differentials and
some manual transmissions designed without vunerable copper alloy parts.

The
effect is not dependent on viscosity.

To avoid the problem, a gear oil with a rating of GL-4 or less should be
used. Avoid high EP ratings

The equivalent viscosity to SAE-90 gear oil is SAE-50 in engine oil, ie

ISO
VG-220.
--
Regards,

Chas.

Synchronizer rings in automotive manual transmissions are made of brass,
and a lot of thrust and shim washers have copper in them.

I guess we'd better take out ALL the EP gear oil that is designed and
recommended for these transmissions and replace it with.........

.................bacon grease????

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

wrote in message
oups.com...
Someone in the Yahoo 4x6 bandsaw group said they know for a fact that
automotive type 90 weight gear lube will attack brass and bronze if
used in machine tools. Has anyone heard of such a thing? I was going to
use Mobil 1 EP Hypoid Gear Oil (SAE 140) in my Clausing 8540.

Thanks, Steve

I have a 1954 Stokes Oscillating Granulator with bronze bushing bearings on
the rotor. They are continually bathed in 90W high-sulfur oil. The oil
sump also contains a 100% brass oil pump, and numerous brass oil line
fittings.

If anything, it would be the sulfur content that _might_ damage
copper-bearing materials.

Remember, 1954. No damage whatsoever. In fact, except for 1/2" of sludge
in the sump, it looks like a new machine (insideG).

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot

On 29 Mar 2006 21:49:26 -0800, "
wrote:

Someone in the Yahoo 4x6 bandsaw group said they know for a fact that
automotive type 90 weight gear lube will attack brass and bronze if
used in machine tools. Has anyone heard of such a thing? I was going to
use Mobil 1 EP Hypoid Gear Oil (SAE 140) in my Clausing 8540.

Thanks, Steve

some of the friction modifiers work by bonding with the zinc in the
alloy. when the lubrication film breaks down this oxide is scrubbed
off providing a last ditched lubricating action.

I used castrol gtx motor oil on my lathe until I discovered all the
brass oilers going red. the explanation was surface leaching of the
zinc component in the brass alloy leaving a red copper surface.

for my lathe I now use shell tellus 46 which is a transmission oil.
this oil glues to lathe slideways quite nicely and doesnt leach the
brass. yeah I know the clausing isnt a lathe.

(australian experience)
Stealth Pilot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP*

wrote in message
oups.com...
Someone in the Yahoo 4x6 bandsaw group said they know for a fact that
automotive type 90 weight gear lube will attack brass and bronze if
used in machine tools. Has anyone heard of such a thing? I was going to
use Mobil 1 EP Hypoid Gear Oil (SAE 140) in my Clausing 8540.

Thanks, Steve

When I was researching oil for my Van Norman the presence of "yellow metal"
in the gear box ruled out a few choices, according to Mobil's tech support.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave

Chas wrote:

It is likely true that an EP gear oil will attack copper based components in
machinery. EP mineral oils with a rating of GL-5 have this characteristic,
which is a powerful oxidising additive to create a scuff resistant surface
on gear teeth. It is normally used in automotive hypoid differentials and
some manual transmissions designed without vunerable copper alloy parts. The
effect is not dependent on viscosity.

To avoid the problem, a gear oil with a rating of GL-4 or less should be
used. Avoid high EP ratings

The equivalent viscosity to SAE-90 gear oil is SAE-50 in engine oil, ie ISO
VG-220.
--
Regards,

Chas.

I notice that my bottle of Walmart Super Tech brand 85W-140 is rated
GL-5 and has the comforting and probably clueless message "protects
against rust, foam, high temperature and corrosion of copper or bronze
bushings."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

Mike what oils did they rule out? I just picked up a Rockwell Mill and the
horizontal gear box calls for 140 weight EP gear grease. Local store was a
bit confused.
"ATP*" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Someone in the Yahoo 4x6 bandsaw group said they know for a fact that
automotive type 90 weight gear lube will attack brass and bronze if
used in machine tools. Has anyone heard of such a thing? I was going to
use Mobil 1 EP Hypoid Gear Oil (SAE 140) in my Clausing 8540.

Thanks, Steve

When I was researching oil for my Van Norman the presence of "yellow
metal" in the gear box ruled out a few choices, according to Mobil's tech
support.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP*

"wayne mak" wrote in message
Mike what oils did they rule out? I just picked up a Rockwell Mill and the
horizontal gear box calls for 140 weight EP gear grease. Local store was a
bit confused.

I'm pretty sure they recommended against an EP oil. If you Google EP oil
bronze a few links warn that some EP oils will attack copper containing
alloys. But if your manufacturer recommends it maybe there is no problem for
your machine. Go to the Mobil or Shell website and call tech support, they
can figure out the right oil and put you in touch with a local distributor.

"ATP*" wrote in message

oups.com...