Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons

Default 90 Weight Gear Oil Damaging Brass and Bronze?

In article .com,
says...
Someone in the Yahoo 4x6 bandsaw group said they know for a fact that
automotive type 90 weight gear lube will attack brass and bronze if
used in machine tools. Has anyone heard of such a thing? I was going to
use Mobil 1 EP Hypoid Gear Oil (SAE 140) in my Clausing 8540.

*Some* EP additves will damage *some* copper bases alloy. Most EP gear
oils are no problem - Mobilgear is one that I know is OK. Does your mill
really call for an EP oil? The gears in most machine tools are not
loaded heavily enough to require it.

Mobil has very good tech data on their lubricants online if you want to
check the Mobil 1 to be sure.

Ned Simmons