Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Default 90 Weight Gear Oil Damaging Brass and Bronze?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Someone in the Yahoo 4x6 bandsaw group said they know for a fact that
automotive type 90 weight gear lube will attack brass and bronze if
used in machine tools. Has anyone heard of such a thing? I was going to
use Mobil 1 EP Hypoid Gear Oil (SAE 140) in my Clausing 8540.

Thanks, Steve

I have a 1954 Stokes Oscillating Granulator with bronze bushing bearings on
the rotor. They are continually bathed in 90W high-sulfur oil. The oil
sump also contains a 100% brass oil pump, and numerous brass oil line
fittings.

If anything, it would be the sulfur content that _might_ damage
copper-bearing materials.

Remember, 1954. No damage whatsoever. In fact, except for 1/2" of sludge
in the sump, it looks like a new machine (insideG).

LLoyd