Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
sheltech

Default Aluminum Stovetop Heat Dispersing Plate ?

.... or whatever the F the right name is (I knew it yesterday ! ) .
The wife's cast iron skillet recommends a heat spreader thingy to
go between the element/glass top and the skillet , and the copper
ones are priced ridiculously . I'm off to scrounge a 1/4" Cu plate
today , but thought "well, I already have some aluminum..." .
So the obvious question is : is this safe ?. I know the element itself
gets hot enough to melt Al , but what about the glass top ?.
Also , does Al put off toxic fumes when it's hot ?. What do the big
giant heads say? ...

Thanks ,

Dar http://www.sheltech.net metal work
http://www.soundclick.com/darshelton (free mp3's)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

sheltech wrote:

... or whatever the F the right name is (I knew it yesterday ! ) .
The wife's cast iron skillet recommends a heat spreader thingy to
go between the element/glass top and the skillet , and the copper
ones are priced ridiculously . I'm off to scrounge a 1/4" Cu plate
today , but thought "well, I already have some aluminum..." .
So the obvious question is : is this safe ?. I know the element itself
gets hot enough to melt Al , but what about the glass top ?.
Also , does Al put off toxic fumes when it's hot ?. What do the big
giant heads say? ...

Not being from Easter Island, I'll leave the "giant heads" thing lie ..

but most baking pans in existence and also most stovetop pans (ever heard of
Calpholon?) are made of aluminum.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

sheltech wrote:

... or whatever the F the right name is (I knew it yesterday ! ) .
The wife's cast iron skillet recommends a heat spreader thingy to
go between the element/glass top and the skillet , and the copper
ones are priced ridiculously . I'm off to scrounge a 1/4" Cu plate
today , but thought "well, I already have some aluminum..." .
So the obvious question is : is this safe ?. I know the element itself
gets hot enough to melt Al , but what about the glass top ?.
Also , does Al put off toxic fumes when it's hot ?. What do the big
giant heads say? ...

The one we have used for years in the kitchen is cheap aluminum. Had
some sort of black coating that has mostly worn off. It's sold as a way
to thaw frozen foods more quickly, but I've used it on the stop-top too.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 14:19:41 GMT, "sheltech"
wrote:

... or whatever the F the right name is (I knew it yesterday ! ) .
The wife's cast iron skillet recommends a heat spreader thingy to
go between the element/glass top and the skillet , and the copper
ones are priced ridiculously . I'm off to scrounge a 1/4" Cu plate
today , but thought "well, I already have some aluminum..." .
So the obvious question is : is this safe ?. I know the element itself
gets hot enough to melt Al , but what about the glass top ?.
Also , does Al put off toxic fumes when it's hot ?. What do the big
giant heads say? ...

Thanks ,

Dar http://www.sheltech.net metal work
http://www.soundclick.com/darshelton (free mp3's)

Greetings Dar,
I make these plates for friends and family to spread the heat. I've
even gone so far as to research the thickness required to get the
plate to be at the same temperature throughout. 7/16" inch thick 6061
plate will do for a low flame. Because the aluminum transmits heat so
well if the plate is too thin you will get a hot ring. It will diffuse
the heat some but you can still burn food. I make all of mine out of
1/2" 6061 plate and they work very well. Everybody who uses them just
keeps them on the stove full time. I clear anodize them myself. I sent
some out for black anodize once when I had a bunch of money making
parts being done. The black turns brown after a couple years. My
neighbor, the clean freak, used Easy-Off to clean the plates. This
highly alkaline cleaner ruined the finish on the parts so I put 'em in
the lathe to clean them up.
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"... I'll leave the "giant heads" thing lie .. "

3rd rock from the sun (tv show) reference.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

wrote:

"... I'll leave the "giant heads" thing lie .. "

3rd rock from the sun (tv show) reference.

no wonder, I don't own a TV ..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
sheltech

wrote in message
oups.com...
"... I'll leave the "giant heads" thing lie .. "

3rd rock from the sun (tv show) reference.

And before that .... Zardoz . Big Giant Floating Grain-Collecting Head

segue into an episode of South Park where Mr. Mackie drops acid and
his head floats off like a balloon .... (waxing nostalgic )

but drugs are bad, m-kay?...

DS

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
sheltech

wrote:

[...]

good info... any differences you think for a glass-top electric vs. gas
flame?.
i figured I'd just use the 1/4" that I have laying around and see what
happens.

DS

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:03:59 GMT, "sheltech"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Whatever the heat pattern of the glass top is, the 1/4" aluminum will
be.
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Right - but a cooking grade ? That might be an issue.
What is the chemical content of your aluminum ?

Sounds like you need copper 'rounds'.

Find someone with a plasma or water cutter table - and have some copper cut.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

New thermostat ~~~AAA~~~ Home Repair 5 March 1st 06 02:20 PM
prog. therm. and heat pump questions Abby Normal Home Repair 119 December 22nd 05 12:38 PM
pool pump [email protected] Home Repair 144 December 10th 05 02:01 AM
Aluminum wiring... Roy Metalworking 15 February 20th 05 07:20 PM
heat pump/secondary propane furnace questions JohnW Home Ownership 11 January 28th 05 01:50 PM