Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
sheltech

Default Aluminum Stovetop Heat Dispersing Plate ?

"Rex B" wrote in message

sheltech wrote:

... or whatever the F the right name is (I knew it yesterday ! ) .
The wife's cast iron skillet recommends a heat spreader thingy to
go between the element/glass top and the skillet , and the copper
ones are priced ridiculously . I'm off to scrounge a 1/4" Cu plate
today , but thought "well, I already have some aluminum..." .
So the obvious question is : is this safe ?. I know the element itself
gets hot enough to melt Al , but what about the glass top ?.
Also , does Al put off toxic fumes when it's hot ?. What do the big
giant heads say? ...

The one we have used for years in the kitchen is cheap aluminum. Had
some sort of black coating that has mostly worn off. It's sold as a way
to thaw frozen foods more quickly, but I've used it on the stop-top too.