Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
sheltech

Default Aluminum Stovetop Heat Dispersing Plate ?

.... or whatever the F the right name is (I knew it yesterday ! ) .
The wife's cast iron skillet recommends a heat spreader thingy to
go between the element/glass top and the skillet , and the copper
ones are priced ridiculously . I'm off to scrounge a 1/4" Cu plate
today , but thought "well, I already have some aluminum..." .
So the obvious question is : is this safe ?. I know the element itself
gets hot enough to melt Al , but what about the glass top ?.
Also , does Al put off toxic fumes when it's hot ?. What do the big
giant heads say? ...

Thanks ,

Dar http://www.sheltech.net metal work
http://www.soundclick.com/darshelton (free mp3's)