Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default 7018 rod storage

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:53:52 GMT, Ignoramus26498
wrote:

I buy my 7018 rod in sealed packs, from a farm supply store or Harbor
Freight. The opened packs I store in a plastic rod storage container
made for storing welding rods.

Just how bad is the issue of moisture in these rods if they are stored
in sealed plastic tubular containers that are occasionally opened. I
am not welding space vehicles or doing anything where 100% of strength
is required or where life is at stake. Still, I would like to double
check whether I am at risk of making completely worthless welds.

thanks

Just throw a desiccant pack in the rod container and duct tape it
shut. You could also purge the container with dry argon from your TIG
supply, and again tape it shut. Welding argon is very dry.

Geez, I just gave away a 50 lb rod oven a couple of weeks ago.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

I just ordered some 11018 today.

Some project coming up - I had 8018 or 7018 - but not 'good' enough.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

wrote:

I buy my 7018 rod in sealed packs, from a farm supply store or Harbor
Freight. The opened packs I store in a plastic rod storage container
made for storing welding rods.

Just how bad is the issue of moisture in these rods if they are stored
in sealed plastic tubular containers that are occasionally opened. I
am not welding space vehicles or doing anything where 100% of strength
is required or where life is at stake. Still, I would like to double
check whether I am at risk of making completely worthless welds.

thanks

Just throw a desiccant pack in the rod container and duct tape it
shut. You could also purge the container with dry argon from your TIG
supply, and again tape it shut. Welding argon is very dry.

Geez, I just gave away a 50 lb rod oven a couple of weeks ago.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend

I just ordered some 11018 today.

Some project coming up - I had 8018 or 7018 - but not 'good' enough.

FWIW

I got about 500 lbs. of 11018 for sale...

I was at an auction three years ago. Whole wall of welding rod. Last item in
the room. Everybody moving to the next room. Auctioneer tried to sell one
cubby hole - choice. Nobody bid. So he said the whole wall. I bid $50 - no
more bids. EVERYBODY was ****ed, they thought he was still doing one
cubbyhole. Took my 1 ton truck to get it home.

I sorted out two rod ovens of stuff. One clear full of hardfacing and other
spcialty rod I could see a use for. I've still got a hundred cans of
specialty rod I don't know what its for...

I've been cutting both ends of the rod with a bolt biter and making apple
tree spreaders.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:38:41 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
remove .NOT wrote:

I just ordered some 11018 today.

Some project coming up - I had 8018 or 7018 - but not 'good' enough.

FWIW

I got about 500 lbs. of 11018 for sale...

I was at an auction three years ago. Whole wall of welding rod. Last item in
the room. Everybody moving to the next room. Auctioneer tried to sell one
cubby hole - choice. Nobody bid. So he said the whole wall. I bid $50 - no
more bids. EVERYBODY was ****ed, they thought he was still doing one
cubbyhole. Took my 1 ton truck to get it home.

I sorted out two rod ovens of stuff. One clear full of hardfacing and other
spcialty rod I could see a use for. I've still got a hundred cans of
specialty rod I don't know what its for...

I've been cutting both ends of the rod with a bolt biter and making apple
tree spreaders.

Karl

Where are you located Karl?

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend

Where are you located Karl?

Gunner

2000 miles away form the world's greatest scrounger. Beautiful Dassel,
Minnestoa.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Armor plate
Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Ignoramus2206 wrote:
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:38:41 GMT, Karl Townsend wrote:

I just ordered some 11018 today.

Some project coming up - I had 8018 or 7018 - but not 'good' enough.

FWIW

I got about 500 lbs. of 11018 for sale...

I was at an auction three years ago. Whole wall of welding rod. Last item in
the room. Everybody moving to the next room. Auctioneer tried to sell one
cubby hole - choice. Nobody bid. So he said the whole wall. I bid $50 - no
more bids. EVERYBODY was ****ed, they thought he was still doing one
cubbyhole. Took my 1 ton truck to get it home.

I sorted out two rod ovens of stuff. One clear full of hardfacing and other
spcialty rod I could see a use for. I've still got a hundred cans of
specialty rod I don't know what its for...

I've been cutting both ends of the rod with a bolt biter and making apple
tree spreaders.

Karl, what is that 11018 rod for?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 20:22:24 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
remove .NOT wrote:

Where are you located Karl?

Gunner

2000 miles away form the world's greatest scrounger. Beautiful Dassel,
Minnestoa.

Karl

Sigh.....

Never mind.

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 20:27:56 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Armor plate
Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Ive got some T1 cut into targets...but its too far.

Gunner

Ignoramus2206 wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

That is the type to buy - T1-360 the 360 is the Hardness number - BHN IIRC. T1 is USS trademark.

I found a company in Houston - now to try my local supplier for sheets, otherwise to the Steel
company myself.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Ignoramus2206 wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Barry S.

remove .NOT wrote:

I just ordered some 11018 today.

Some project coming up - I had 8018 or 7018 - but not 'good' enough.

FWIW

I got about 500 lbs. of 11018 for sale...

I was at an auction three years ago. Whole wall of welding rod. Last item in
the room. Everybody moving to the next room. Auctioneer tried to sell one
cubby hole - choice. Nobody bid. So he said the whole wall. I bid $50 - no
more bids. EVERYBODY was ****ed, they thought he was still doing one
cubbyhole. Took my 1 ton truck to get it home.

I sorted out two rod ovens of stuff. One clear full of hardfacing and other
spcialty rod I could see a use for. I've still got a hundred cans of
specialty rod I don't know what its for...

I've been cutting both ends of the rod with a bolt biter and making apple
tree spreaders.

Karl

Ok -- what's an apple tree spreader???

Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'.