Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default 7018 rod storage

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:53:52 GMT, Ignoramus26498
wrote:

I buy my 7018 rod in sealed packs, from a farm supply store or Harbor
Freight. The opened packs I store in a plastic rod storage container
made for storing welding rods.

Just how bad is the issue of moisture in these rods if they are stored
in sealed plastic tubular containers that are occasionally opened. I
am not welding space vehicles or doing anything where 100% of strength
is required or where life is at stake. Still, I would like to double
check whether I am at risk of making completely worthless welds.

thanks

Just throw a desiccant pack in the rod container and duct tape it
shut. You could also purge the container with dry argon from your TIG
supply, and again tape it shut. Welding argon is very dry.

Geez, I just gave away a 50 lb rod oven a couple of weeks ago.