Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Dave in MD

Default newbie question - drilling big holes in steel plate

I'd like to drill a 1 5/16" (1.3125 inch) hole in a 1 inch thick mild steel
bar. I only have a drill press in my shop. Is there a way to drill a hole
this big in a home shop, without a milling machine?

It has been suggested I try a HSS hole saw at low RPM (less than 400) with
plenty of cutting fluid.

It doesn't have to be pretty, and the jig I'm making doesn't require super
high precision.

Thanks,
Dave

Question about the different steel grades. Matthew Metalworking 4 November 13th 03 05:29 AM
drilling steel? Dave UK diy 26 October 29th 03 03:03 PM
Drilling holes John Edgar UK diy 5 September 8th 03 04:47 PM
drilling 'actual' sized holes with HSS drill bits bill yohler Metalworking 17 August 5th 03 11:49 AM