Gunner

Default newbie question - drilling big holes in steel plate

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 22:07:24 -0500, "Dave in MD"
wrote:

I'd like to drill a 1 5/16" (1.3125 inch) hole in a 1 inch thick mild steel
bar. I only have a drill press in my shop. Is there a way to drill a hole
this big in a home shop, without a milling machine?

It has been suggested I try a HSS hole saw at low RPM (less than 400) with
plenty of cutting fluid.

It doesn't have to be pretty, and the jig I'm making doesn't require super
high precision.

Thanks,
Dave

How big is your drill press chuck and how much horsepower does it
have? I may have a drill this big I could grind the shank down for
you.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas