Steve Lusardi

Default newbie question - drilling big holes in steel plate

Dave,
I often have to drill holes that are that large and larger. When I do not
have the correct drill, I drill to the closest size smaller and then mount a
boring head for a milling machine. The boring head that I use has a number 3
morse taper shank. Even though I do not have an automatic quill feed on my
drill, a steady hand and patience does a perfect job.
Steve

"Dave in MD" wrote in message
I'd like to drill a 1 5/16" (1.3125 inch) hole in a 1 inch thick mild

steel
bar. I only have a drill press in my shop. Is there a way to drill a

hole
this big in a home shop, without a milling machine?

It has been suggested I try a HSS hole saw at low RPM (less than 400) with
plenty of cutting fluid.

It doesn't have to be pretty, and the jig I'm making doesn't require super
high precision.

Thanks,
Dave