Mickey Feldman

Default newbie question - drilling big holes in steel plate

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 22:07:24 -0500, "Dave in MD"
wrote:

I'd like to drill a 1 5/16" (1.3125 inch) hole in a 1 inch thick mild steel
bar. I only have a drill press in my shop. Is there a way to drill a hole
this big in a home shop, without a milling machine?

If by 'bar' you mean flat, rather than round stock, yes. The least
expensive and most readily available home shop type tool that I know
of to do this would be a fly cutter. Chucks in drill press, has pilot
drill and adjustable arm perpendicular to axis of drill, lathe type
single point tool is held parallel to drill and appropriate distance
from drill. With care, patient appropriate speed and cutting fluid you
can cut holes several inches (like 6, anyway) in diameter with one of
these. Even places like home depot have cheap ones, tho' if you go
this route I'd suggest getting the beefiest one you can find.

Mickey