Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Default Gunner's Neighbors

I was recently reviewing the archives and came across this thread
discussing Gunner's backyard....

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...19b918147eaae3

....and wondered what his neighbors thought of his HSM adventures.

Gunner, care to fill us in on this subject and how you handle neighbor
relations so you can pursue your interests?

I would think it to be an interesting and education subject that we all
encounter sometime in our HSM exploits.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Gunner fends them off - keeps mad guard dogs and guard cats.
Martin visitor/customer twice.
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I was recently reviewing the archives and came across this thread
discussing Gunner's backyard....

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...19b918147eaae3

...and wondered what his neighbors thought of his HSM adventures.

Gunner, care to fill us in on this subject and how you handle neighbor
relations so you can pursue your interests?

I would think it to be an interesting and education subject that we all
encounter sometime in our HSM exploits.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn

HUH!
I suspect he treats his neighbors the same way I treat mine. The friendly
ones get anything they like and the unfrinedly ones get whatever it takes.
"Anybody is good down deep" I have not been appointed to sort the good from
the bad. Let the maker sort them out.
Glenn
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was recently reviewing the archives and came across this thread
discussing Gunner's backyard....

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...19b918147eaae3

...and wondered what his neighbors thought of his HSM adventures.

Gunner, care to fill us in on this subject and how you handle neighbor
relations so you can pursue your interests?

I would think it to be an interesting and education subject that we all
encounter sometime in our HSM exploits.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I was recently reviewing the archives and came across this thread
discussing Gunner's backyard....

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...19b918147eaae3

...and wondered what his neighbors thought of his HSM adventures.

Gunner, care to fill us in on this subject and how you handle neighbor
relations so you can pursue your interests?

I would think it to be an interesting and education subject that we all
encounter sometime in our HSM exploits.

TMT

I live in a rather mellow area..with most folks not bothering to lock
their doors.

Actually..the dogs do help. But on the other hand..they are in
kennels. So Ive a couple IR operated flood lights that help a bit
more. More importantly..the word has gotten round over the years
about the two fellah I caught trying to carry Stuff away some years
ago.

Ill not go into details..but they both did live. It involved guns,
chain..a ride into the desert..a backhoe and a seriously deranged war
face. Both gents dont even drive down the street I live on anymore,
and will leave any bar I walk into, rather quickly.

So a reputation largely blown out of proportion, fear and whatnot is
pretty much all I need to keep "shrinkage" to a minimum. The Sawzall
and Milwakee grinder I recently thought had grown legs..was loaned by
my wife to a good friend while I was on the road.

Now I wish I could say the same for LA....when in May of 2000..the
druggie brother of the mexicana neighbor broke into the back of my
pickup truck shell, and got me for about $15,000 worth of tools,
spindle bearings, machine tool parts and so forth. Id been a field
service guy for over 20 yrs..and had my truck filled with SnapOn,
Excelite, scopes, meters, etc etc etc..and they pretty much cleaned me
out. Including all the spare parts belonging to the company I worked
for. OmniWest/Richland Machinery (based in Long Island)

I offered to pay for the missing company equipment..and my boss, Jeff
Richland was very kind to say it was the breaks..and try to be more
careful where I parked my truck in the future. I bought some used
tools from Leigh Knudsen (who posts here) and some Harbor Freight
stuff..a meter etc etc. Some posters here were kind enough to send me
an electric drill (thanks Jim from Florida!!) and so forth. Its been
almost 6 yrs now..and I still dont have any high end tools for the
most part in the truck. Just enough to do most jobs. If I need
something special..Ill bring it down from home. Im still trying to
scrounge up a set of end wrenchs 1"-2 1/2" and sockets to match for
the big shears and brakes I also work on. And sockets to match. But
they are not real common. Big stuff like that..the client often
has..so its not been a real serious issue. Though there were a 1
1/8th, 1 1/4" and 2" end wrenchs in the stuff I brought home from the
estate of the guy Ive been sorting out, last weekend. Id hoped to find
a full set..but no luck. Just a couple 12 and 14" adjustable wrenches.
Both old Protos.

The neighborhood is increasingly Latino..and the wife had the spare
change stolen out of her console the other night..so we are making
some changes to the way we practice security. It may come a time Ill
have to put up a chain link fence..but most of the stuff out back..is
big, heavy and not really portable. And Ive chained the welders up.

Shrug..and I still walk the property several times a night, in the
dark, with a dog and a .45

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Hull

In article ,
Gunner wrote:

Now I wish I could say the same for LA....when in May of 2000..the
druggie brother of the mexicana neighbor broke into the back of my
pickup truck shell, and got me for about $15,000 worth of tools,

Plan ahead. Have a nice shiny new drill you NEVER use, ad a cap and a
repackaged stick, and read in the newspapers who stole it

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 23:52:13 -0800, "Glenn"
wrote:

HUH!
I suspect he treats his neighbors the same way I treat mine. The friendly
ones get anything they like and the unfrinedly ones get whatever it takes.
"Anybody is good down deep" I have not been appointed to sort the good from
the bad. Let the maker sort them out.
Glenn

Ayup. Couple wets came by sunday..needed some bearings pressed out of
a hub for their group car. Neighbor brought em. Most camposenos are
hard working dudes who send most of their money home to their
families..so didnt take their money when they offered after it was
done. I get along pretty well with nearly all the neighbors. The sole
exception used to be the circle of meth addicts that seemed to be the
only folks one landloard would rent to. They would come and go..new
faces every couple months..caused some trouble in the neighborhood for
quite a number of years. Most folks here are pretty much live and let
live..but those meth monsters kept wearing out their welcome.

Then the house burned down.

Its pretty quiet now.

oups.com...