Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Edwards

Default Link to my WR Smith skeleton clock (finally finished)

Hi Group,
www.anticlan.com/clock/index

I built this clock as a 50th anniversary gift for my Parents. I had the
thing up and running (but not polished...still looked good) and I invited
them out to my house last April to see it. My Mom was in the later stages
of Parkinson's, and in a wheelchair. She couldn't get up to take a close
look, but she loved it! My Dad, too.
Soon after, they moved to North Carolina to a retirement community. Sadly,
my Mother was very ill from the start down there and she passed away in
July. I'm just glad she had a chance to see the clock.
It hung on my wall keeping excellent time until just before Christmas. I
was going south to see my Dad over the holiday, so I spent a couple weeks
polishing and lacquering the brass and finishing the walnut base. I
installed the clock on the wall of my Father's apartment the day after
Christmas. He tells me it's running good.
I really enjoyed building the clock. In fact, I got Bill Smith's
Grasshopper Skeleton clock book about a month ago.
I am indebted to many members of r.c.m. for bits of advice I picked up from
you whenever I got stuck along the way. Thanks too, to John Shadle of
onlineclockbuilding.com for answering a couple questions about gear cutting
that had me stumped. It was also from his site that I got the instructions
for building gear cutters. They work great and it's worth a trip to his
site to see his beautiful work.

Thanks all,
Nok

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Siggy

Very nicely done! Thanks for sharing this.

How many hours did it take to complete the project?

Robert

"Dave Edwards" wrote in message
Hi Group,
www.anticlan.com/clock/index

I built this clock as a 50th anniversary gift for my Parents. Thanks all,
Nok

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Dave - very well done. Nice way to do the pictures as well!

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Dave Edwards wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Dave Edwards wrote:

www.anticlan.com/clock/index

Very nice clock, very nice work!
Thanks for sharing it.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

A pleasing picture essay to experience. Thanks.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Dave Edwards wrote:

[...]

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Dave Edwards wrote:
Hi Group,
www.anticlan.com/clock/index

I built this clock as a 50th anniversary gift for my Parents. I had the
thing up and running (but not polished...still looked good) and I invited
them out to my house last April to see it. My Mom was in the later stages
of Parkinson's, and in a wheelchair. She couldn't get up to take a close
look, but she loved it! My Dad, too.
Soon after, they moved to North Carolina to a retirement community. Sadly,
my Mother was very ill from the start down there and she passed away in
July. I'm just glad she had a chance to see the clock.

Gorgeous! And, my condolences on the passing of your mom.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff R

"Dave Edwards" wrote in message
Hi Group,
www.anticlan.com/clock/index

I built this clock as a 50th anniversary gift for my Parents.

I stand in awe, humbled.
Great work!

--
Jeff R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

The renowned clockmaker, W.R. Smith has a web site at:
http://horology.magnet.fsu.edu/wrsmith.htm

Bob Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Sorry. After posting the URL I checked it and found it is not available. I
should have checked it first. I got it from some correspondence with WR
Smith a little less than one year ago.

Bob Swinney
"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
The renowned clockmaker, W.R. Smith has a web site at:
http://horology.magnet.fsu.edu/wrsmith.htm

Bob Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 20:12:11 +1100, "Jeff R"
wrote:

"Dave Edwards" wrote in message
Hi Group,
www.anticlan.com/clock/index

I built this clock as a 50th anniversary gift for my Parents.

I stand in awe, humbled.
Great work!

Indeed!

Marvelous work!!

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Edwards

Sorry. After posting the URL I checked it and found it is not available.
I should have checked it first. I got it from some correspondence with WR
Smith a little less than one year ago.

Bob Swinney

Bob Smith is quite a character. I needed to call him twice regarding some
problems I was having. The second time I called was regarding how heavy I
should make the weight tube. I was trying to 'engineer' a solution to the
problem. I figured I needed to double the amount of weight needed to just
make it run without a pulley (as I was doing during testing), add the pulley
and then add a little more weight to be on the safe side. His answer to
that was; "Just make the thing as heavy as you can because you never know
what the hell's going to happen." Moral? Clock making is not necessarily
engineering.
Nok