Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Norm Dresner

Default Wilton Drill Press any good?

Enco is selling a Wilton 15" Bench Drill Press for $500. Is this a good buy
or is it overpriced?

TIA
Norm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:21:00 GMT, "Norm Dresner"
wrote:

Enco is selling a Wilton 15" Bench Drill Press for $500. Is this a good buy
or is it overpriced?

TIA
Norm

Wilton is now part of WMH group, which also includes Jet. It's
probably a pretty good-quality import. I have a Wilton vertical
bandsaw that I have been quite satisfied with. It's no Do-All, but
at 1/3 the price I didn't expect it to be.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

wrote:

Enco is selling a Wilton 15" Bench Drill Press for $500. Is this a good buy
or is it overpriced?

TIA
Norm

Wilton is now part of WMH group, which also includes Jet. It's
probably a pretty good-quality import. I have a Wilton vertical
bandsaw that I have been quite satisfied with. It's no Do-All, but
at 1/3 the price I didn't expect it to be.

$500 for an import 15" DP? My take is that's way too high. I figure a good price
on a clean (like-new) Wilton or Jet 17" drill press is $275-ish.

There is quite a difference between 17" and 15".

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
~Roy~

Wilton at one time used to make some pretty darn good stuff, however
now most of what they make mimicks the import crap..........I looked
at a Wilton metal cutting bandsaw a few years back, and it IMHO was
cheezy for the asking price.....Thats what prompted me to make my own
20" 3-wheel metal cutting bandsaw which is as good as any Wilton or
Jet IMHO. Other than a crapped out speed control which I had bought
used, its worked like a champ, has never had any problems and its used
hard all the time. I do not know what DoAll or others could offer in
the way of improvements or doing it any better but if it works it
works.......but I still hate paying for junk .

Years back when the local HF opened up here I was in the market for a
drill press myself. I went through 3 HF floor models that had such
excessive runout and slop, and left a lot to be desired. Then I
stumbled on an old Delta, which is a real champ. We had a Wiolton DP,
as well as 3 Deltas of various sizes at work, and the Wilton was a
much better drill press than those newer Deltas were, but the Wilton
was also an older model so that probably has a lot to do with it.
--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Alex

I had this drill press. Way overpriced for the it's level of quality.
I sold mine and got 17" floor model ShopFox for $270.
Same level of quality bigger machine. Wish I could spend $1000 on drill press and get a
decent machine not import crap

Norm Dresner wrote:
Enco is selling a Wilton 15" Bench Drill Press for $500. Is this a good buy
or is it overpriced?

TIA
Norm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Alex wrote:

I had this drill press. Way overpriced for the it's level of quality.
I sold mine and got 17" floor model ShopFox for $270.
Same level of quality bigger machine. Wish I could spend $1000 on drill
press and get a decent machine not import crap

For $1000 you can buy a used mill-drill, those aren't great mills but they make
great drill presses!

GWE