Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Lubricating electric motors

Awl--

I have observed several methods for motor lubrication, and have a Q or two.

1. Grease/zerk fittings:
How do you know when you've pumped enough grease in?
At what intervals?
Best grease for this app? I've thought of re-stuffing the cartridge tubes
w/ grease from cans, if I can't find the best grease already in a a tube.
Are grease fittings a sign of an older motor?
Are all modern motors "permanently lubed" bearings?
Is there really such a thing as permantly lubed??

2. set screw where a grease fitting would seem to go.
Put a zerk there?
Squirt in oil of some kind? 3 in 1? Other?
What's the diff between this set screw style and a regular oil cup?

My favorite lube system is the old dancing ring/grooved bronze sleeeve
bearing in an oil bath. Really neat to watch--better than most TV.

TIA.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
Awl--

I have observed several methods for motor lubrication, and have a Q or
two.

1. Grease/zerk fittings:
How do you know when you've pumped enough grease in?
At what intervals?
Best grease for this app? I've thought of re-stuffing the cartridge tubes
w/ grease from cans, if I can't find the best grease already in a a tube.
Are grease fittings a sign of an older motor?
Are all modern motors "permanently lubed" bearings?
Is there really such a thing as permantly lubed??

Not sure how you tell. IMO, if it is an old motor, it'd be a good idea to
open it up and wash the old, hardened, grease out of the bearing area and
apply new grease by hand. Then regrease sparingly, a squirt or two should
suffice. I overgreased my old 7 1/2 HP Wagner motor once and it caused it
to run hot.

2. set screw where a grease fitting would seem to go.
Put a zerk there?
Squirt in oil of some kind? 3 in 1? Other?
What's the diff between this set screw style and a regular oil cup?

My favorite lube system is the old dancing ring/grooved bronze sleeeve
bearing in an oil bath. Really neat to watch--better than most TV.

TIA.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

My favorite lube system is the old dancing
ring/grooved bronze sleeeve
bearing in an oil bath. Really neat to
watch--better than most TV.

TIA.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Really P.V., you must get out more!

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:48:07 -0800, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Tom Miller wrote:

My favorite lube system is the old dancing
ring/grooved bronze sleeeve
bearing in an oil bath. Really neat to
watch--better than most TV.

TIA.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Really P.V., you must get out more!

Or get cable.

GENERALLY, motors with screw plugs have sealed bearings. The end caps
are used with sealed and lubable. Some of the ones with zerks specify
OIL, not grease. Use an oil gun like on your Myford lathe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

wrote:

Tom Miller wrote:

My favorite lube system is the old dancing
ring/grooved bronze sleeeve
bearing in an oil bath. Really neat to
watch--better than most TV.

TIA.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Really P.V., you must get out more!

Or get cable.

GENERALLY, motors with screw plugs have sealed bearings. The end caps
are used with sealed and lubable. Some of the ones with zerks specify
OIL, not grease. Use an oil gun like on your Myford lathe.

This makes a lot of sense. I will make sure to call the motor mfr's and see
what's up.
But I never heard/saw of an oil gun--no Myford lathe, I spose. .
So I looked in MSC. Where your std. grease gun is $10-20, an oil gun is
$105!! goodgawd....
Any improvisations I can make, if I indeed need an oil gun?
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
http://www.SecureIX.com ***

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

"Tom Miller" wrote in
message ...

My favorite lube system is the old dancing
ring/grooved bronze sleeeve
bearing in an oil bath. Really neat to
watch--better than most TV.

TIA.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Really P.V., you must get out more!

Tom

On a more serious note, most modern electric
motors ( made in the last 15 years) use sealed
ball bearings in sizes up to about 25 Kw. In my
experience you are better not to try to lubricate
them at all. At a brewery where I was engineering
manager, we had about 100 small motors up to about
5 Kw in the packaging department. They went
largely unlubricated for years at a time. I have
,on the other hand, had motors fail in a few weeks
due to the over dilligence of one of our Gilbert
Island greasers at another plant. I fixed that
problem by getting him to give it 2 shots of
grease on his birthday every year.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:14:18 +1100, "Tom Miller"
wrote:

"Tom Miller" wrote in
message ...

[...]

He wasn't born on Feb 29, I assume.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

Nope. I checked that!

Tom

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:14:18 +1100, "Tom Miller"
wrote:

"Tom Miller" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Awl--

I have observed several methods for motor lubrication, and have a Q or two.

1. Grease/zerk fittings:
How do you know when you've pumped enough grease in?
At what intervals?

--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Best to RTFM. The motor manufacturers probably had a pamphlet that
gave their recommendations. To the best of my recollection, GE
recommended greasing their motors with grease every year if the motor
was run 80 hours a week or more. And every three years if only run 40
hours a week.

I think you remove the plug below the shaft and pump in grease in the
zerk until grease comes out the hole below the shaft. Should be one or
two pumps on a grease gun.

Dan