Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Lubricating electric motors

Awl--

I have observed several methods for motor lubrication, and have a Q or two.

1. Grease/zerk fittings:
How do you know when you've pumped enough grease in?
At what intervals?
Best grease for this app? I've thought of re-stuffing the cartridge tubes
w/ grease from cans, if I can't find the best grease already in a a tube.
Are grease fittings a sign of an older motor?
Are all modern motors "permanently lubed" bearings?
Is there really such a thing as permantly lubed??

2. set screw where a grease fitting would seem to go.
Put a zerk there?
Squirt in oil of some kind? 3 in 1? Other?
What's the diff between this set screw style and a regular oil cup?

My favorite lube system is the old dancing ring/grooved bronze sleeeve
bearing in an oil bath. Really neat to watch--better than most TV.

TIA.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll