Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

Default Lubricating electric motors

"Tom Miller" wrote in
message ...

My favorite lube system is the old dancing
ring/grooved bronze sleeeve
bearing in an oil bath. Really neat to
watch--better than most TV.

TIA.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Really P.V., you must get out more!

Tom

On a more serious note, most modern electric
motors ( made in the last 15 years) use sealed
ball bearings in sizes up to about 25 Kw. In my
experience you are better not to try to lubricate
them at all. At a brewery where I was engineering
manager, we had about 100 small motors up to about
5 Kw in the packaging department. They went
largely unlubricated for years at a time. I have
,on the other hand, had motors fail in a few weeks
due to the over dilligence of one of our Gilbert
Island greasers at another plant. I fixed that
problem by getting him to give it 2 shots of
grease on his birthday every year.