Gene T

Default Help choosing a hobby MIG welder

Hi all,
For the past coupla year I have been contmplating getting a small MIG welder
for doing repairs and small metal projects. I need one that will work with
household current. Seems that most of these can weld up to 3/16 in- probaly
more than enough for my needs. I am leaning towards using flux core wire
instead of gas. In my area I can get Lincoln, Century, Miller or Hobart.
This is only for occasional use so I don't need the top-of-the-line but
don't want to be stuck with a junker either. I would appreciate input on
any of these brands as to their pro/cons.
Thanks,
Gene

--

This message has been scanned by Norton Anti-virus software

Roy

I just bought a Lincoln Sp175 Plus. Very nice machine. It was sort of
a toss up between the Lincoln and Miller, but what turned me off on
the Miller is the auto wire feed increaser that automatically
increases wire feed when you turn up the amperage. It can get
trooublesome at times as there is times you want more heat not
necessarily more wire. The gun and drive on the Lincolns are pretty
well bullet proof. Only thing I dislike is the MIG gun is very touchy
when it comes to feeding wire. You can feed wire and not even know it.
So to me its basically a bare handed operation on the gun so I can
feel the trigger.

The optional aluminum kit is nice, but will run approx 50.00 more, as
well as another cylinder. A cart can be easily made, and the $100 they
charge for a cart already made is pretty steep considering what you
get for the money, you already have a MIG so why not make your own.
Its a good first project to get used to your machine.

I tend to shy away from Flux cored wire, as the gas and bare wire does
such a nice , spatter free job. Unless your welding up at the max
thickness, gas and bare wire will suffice.

The smaller units 135's of MIller and lincoln work well also, and the
ability to operate on 115 VAC is nice, but IMHO I would save up a bit
more and go for the 220 models in 175 amp range

Don't be fooled into thinking infinite amp range is not for casusal
use. Its great and allows fine tune of machine, and is a very nice
feature, but the set range machines do a great job as well.

Odds are if you were given a Miller, Hobart or Lincoln machine to use
and they were covered so you could not see what brands they were you
would not be able to tell them apart when it comes to use. The Lincoln
does make a somewhat nicer looking weld on the same amps than the
Miller does but its not sufficeint to worry about. You won;t go wrong
with either.

Ever since the wife gave me the go ahead for a MIG and I got mine, its
been a MIG welding festival around here just on her projects, of
repairing broken and worn lawn and garden furniture and bakers rakcs
etc, and lord only knows what she wants made yet, such as garden
trellis, gates, and other do dads. Someday I may get to use it for my
own use!
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
wallster

Now this question has been asked a bunch of times. There are so many answers
your head is gonna spin with confusion. But here's my opinion anyway. I have
used a few of the mig welders that use 110v household current and found that
the cheapies actually work well but lack adjustability (high-low power
switch, poor duty cycle...) but for occational flux core work, they're
really not too bad. I would buy a Millermatic 135, Hobart Handler 135, or a
Lincoln SP135 (or sp135+) The Miller and the Lincoln 135 Plus model both
have infinite voltage controls (nice feature, but not needed if you are a
casual user) the others have a 4 or five position switch for voltage (tap)
The Miller has a cast aluminum wire drive and the others are plastic (again,
no one complains about the plastic, they work fine) And Miller makes Hobart
so getting parts are not a big problem (Lincoln has been around forever and
you can get parts and service as well) So in closing, all machines mentioned
will work great. Flux core works good but is a little messy (spatter city)
most users use them as a mig welder (with sheilding gas, usually argon/co2
"C25") your welds will look better, no slag and limited spatter. So there
you have it, I hope confusion has set in, it's your first step! Like any
other machine, you will need practice to get good looking welds (instead of
the "gob it on heavy and it'll hold" method) So good luck with your
purchase. One warning though, be prepared to buy a million more tools, the
bug will bite ya pretty hard once you get started, just ask my wife!

walt

"Gene T" wrote in message
Hi all,
For the past coupla year I have been contmplating getting a small MIG

welder
for doing repairs and small metal projects. I need one that will work

with
household current. Seems that most of these can weld up to 3/16 in-

probaly
more than enough for my needs. I am leaning towards using flux core wire
instead of gas. In my area I can get Lincoln, Century, Miller or Hobart.
This is only for occasional use so I don't need the top-of-the-line but
don't want to be stuck with a junker either. I would appreciate input on
any of these brands as to their pro/cons.
Thanks,
Gene

--

This message has been scanned by Norton Anti-virus software

Tim Wescott

For that matter does anyone have experience with Daytona MIG? They're
considerably less money than the name brands, which either means they sell
useless stuff or they know something...

"Gene T" wrote in message
Hi all,
For the past coupla year I have been contmplating getting a small MIG

welder
for doing repairs and small metal projects. I need one that will work

with
household current. Seems that most of these can weld up to 3/16 in-

probaly
more than enough for my needs. I am leaning towards using flux core wire
instead of gas. In my area I can get Lincoln, Century, Miller or Hobart.
This is only for occasional use so I don't need the top-of-the-line but
don't want to be stuck with a junker either. I would appreciate input on
any of these brands as to their pro/cons.
Thanks,
Gene

--

This message has been scanned by Norton Anti-virus software

Wild Bill

It's already been mentioned and recommended, but I have a Hobart Handler
135. I wanted the upper amperage available in a 120VAC machine, to insure
portability.
I like the versatility of being able to take it almost anywhere and plug it
in without needing to get into someone's service panel, or adapting to their
240V receptacle.

The gas kit was included but I just use fluxcore wire. There is some
problematic wire available.. the stuff that seems to be more trouble than
it's worth has been the black wire. I always check to see that the wire I'm
getting has the bright finish, and it hasn't been any trouble at all.

I've used smaller/cheaper MIG welders in the past, and they've required too
much attention and adjustment to keep them operating.
The 135 just needs wire to operate, although I've changed the contact tip a
couple of times.

WB

"Gene T" wrote in message
Hi all,
For the past coupla year I have been contmplating getting a small MIG

welder
for doing repairs and small metal projects. I need one that will work

with
household current. Seems that most of these can weld up to 3/16 in-

probaly
more than enough for my needs. I am leaning towards using flux core wire
instead of gas. In my area I can get Lincoln, Century, Miller or Hobart.
This is only for occasional use so I don't need the top-of-the-line but
don't want to be stuck with a junker either. I would appreciate input on
any of these brands as to their pro/cons.
Thanks,
Gene

--

This message has been scanned by Norton Anti-virus software

xman Charlie

I use a lincoln SP-85. Small enough for me to move. I have moved several
times.

I use the gas bottle with it, 030 wire.

my 2 cents

I've had bigger welders, but got real tired of lugging them around when
moving to my new home. My moving is dictated by real estate profit, mostly
100k profit, per move. Calif real estate is nuts.

"Gene T" wrote in message
[...]

Old Nick

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 11:26:14 GMT, "Gene T"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Hi all,
For the past coupla year I have been contmplating getting a small MIG welder
for doing repairs and small metal projects. I need one that will work with
household current. Seems that most of these can weld up to 3/16 in- probaly
more than enough for my needs.

With proper joint preparation and a few passes, you can weld a lot
more than that.

I am leaning towards using flux core wire
instead of gas.

Spattery. Sometimes expensive. Make sure the welder is designed for
it. The biggest advantage is if there is any wind, the gas shield does
not get blown awya with flux cored. It does quite badly with gas.

************************************************** ** sorry

Spike....Spike? Hello?
Don Foreman

wrote:

Hi all,
For the past coupla year I have been contmplating getting a small MIG welder
for doing repairs and small metal projects. I need one that will work with
household current. Seems that most of these can weld up to 3/16 in- probaly
more than enough for my needs. I am leaning towards using flux core wire
instead of gas. In my area I can get Lincoln, Century, Miller or Hobart.
This is only for occasional use so I don't need the top-of-the-line but
don't want to be stuck with a junker either. I would appreciate input on
any of these brands as to their pro/cons.

Hint for the occasional user: between uses, put the wire in a ziplock
bag in a dry place. . Even the slightest bit of rust on the wire will
keep it from feeding right. Mine was driving me nuts until I figured
that out.