Thomas Kendrick

Default Bobcat or other gasoline powered welder?

Miller does make a unit named PIPE PRO 304 CC/CV W/DUAL POWER
which lists for around $13K. It will run off 230VAC single-phase
power.
By comparison, if grid power is not a requirement, the
TRAILBLAZER 301 G(KOHLER)CC/CV AC/DC 10,000W lists for around $4200
and is an excellent machine. A diesel version is available as well.
This unit is rated for AC TIG. Just cannot run it off the grid.
I have used a Bobcat for some time for portable power and
stick welding. There is usually some cost in wiring up a receptacle
for any non-engine drive, which I avoided by getting the Bobcat.
There ARE limits to emergency generator use - about 10KW and
about 8-10 hours for gasoline-fueled, depending on load.
These units will run 3600 rpm if there is even a small load attached.

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 15:48:06 -0400, Tom Quackenbush
wrote:

I'm currently thinking of buying a welder that I can use in the
field and also use as an emergency generator. Do any of these welders
have provisions for using the welder off of grid power ( 230VAC, 1 PH,
in my case) or would I be better off buying a stand alone welder +
generator? I'm thinking basic stick welding, but I'm not ruling out
TIG, depending on the price tag.

Recommendations on brands / models would be welcome.

Thanks.

R,
Tom Q.

Tom Quackenbush

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 20:00:55 -0600, random
wrote:

Tom Quackenbush wrote:

I'm currently thinking of buying a welder that I can use in the
field and also use as an emergency generator. Do any of these welders
have provisions for using the welder off of grid power ( 230VAC, 1 PH,
in my case) or would I be better off buying a stand alone welder +
generator? I'm thinking basic stick welding, but I'm not ruling out
TIG, depending on the price tag.

Recommendations on brands / models would be welcome.

Thanks.

R,
Tom Q.

I've had a Campbell-Hausfeld genwelder for around 6 months now. It
has settings from 60 amp to 140 amp. I forget whether it puts out 4kw
or 5kw when used as a generator, never tried that aspect. If 140 amps
is big enough, it's a sweet unit. They run $1000 more or less, seems
like Harbor Freight had them but I chose to buy mine direct from c/h
because the delivery time was shorter.

Thanks for the info,

Can the welder part of the unit be powered independent of the
generator? I don't mean physically separated - can I plug the welder
into a 230V outlet and weld without running the gas engine?

R,
Tom Q.

Trevor Jones

Tom Quackenbush wrote:

Can the welder part of the unit be powered independent of the
generator? I don't mean physically separated - can I plug the welder
into a 230V outlet and weld without running the gas engine?

R,
Tom Q.

I've been wrong before, :-) , But I really think you are looking to buy
two separate machines.

All the welder/ gensets I have ever seen anything about were only able
to be powered by the motor, having no provisions for running the welder
side of the machine from outside electricity. A lot that I have seen,
did not even have provisions to be used as a genset.

From my limited experience with these units, you would have to find one
that included a large electric motor in the system to turn the welding
generator. This would add a lot more size/weight/complexity/cost to the
product.
I suppose it could be done with the inverter technology that is out
there, but that would take it right out of the realms of the affordable.

Think two machines!

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Tom Quackenbush

Trevor Jones wrote:

Tom Quackenbush wrote:

Can the welder part of the unit be powered independent of the
generator? I don't mean physically separated - can I plug the welder
into a 230V outlet and weld without running the gas engine?

R,
Tom Q.

I've been wrong before, :-) , But I really think you are looking to buy
two separate machines.

Oh, yeah? I'll bet I've been wrong more than you've been wrong! g
I'm beginning to think you're right about buying separate machines,
though Aside from the power supply issue, those combination units are
heavy!

All the welder/ gensets I have ever seen anything about were only able
to be powered by the motor, having no provisions for running the welder
side of the machine from outside electricity. A lot that I have seen,
did not even have provisions to be used as a genset.

From my limited experience with these units, you would have to find one
that included a large electric motor in the system to turn the welding
generator. This would add a lot more size/weight/complexity/cost to the
product.
I suppose it could be done with the inverter technology that is out
there, but that would take it right out of the realms of the affordable.

Think two machines!

I'm thinking, I'm thinking! g

Thanks for the response.

R,