Tom Quackenbush

Default Bobcat or other gasoline powered welder?

Trevor Jones wrote:

Tom Quackenbush wrote:

Can the welder part of the unit be powered independent of the
generator? I don't mean physically separated - can I plug the welder
into a 230V outlet and weld without running the gas engine?

R,
Tom Q.

I've been wrong before, :-) , But I really think you are looking to buy
two separate machines.

Oh, yeah? I'll bet I've been wrong more than you've been wrong! g
I'm beginning to think you're right about buying separate machines,
though Aside from the power supply issue, those combination units are
heavy!

All the welder/ gensets I have ever seen anything about were only able
to be powered by the motor, having no provisions for running the welder
side of the machine from outside electricity. A lot that I have seen,
did not even have provisions to be used as a genset.

From my limited experience with these units, you would have to find one
that included a large electric motor in the system to turn the welding
generator. This would add a lot more size/weight/complexity/cost to the
product.
I suppose it could be done with the inverter technology that is out
there, but that would take it right out of the realms of the affordable.

Think two machines!

I'm thinking, I'm thinking! g

Thanks for the response.

R,