Wild Bill

Default Help choosing a hobby MIG welder

It's already been mentioned and recommended, but I have a Hobart Handler
135. I wanted the upper amperage available in a 120VAC machine, to insure
portability.
I like the versatility of being able to take it almost anywhere and plug it
in without needing to get into someone's service panel, or adapting to their
240V receptacle.

The gas kit was included but I just use fluxcore wire. There is some
problematic wire available.. the stuff that seems to be more trouble than
it's worth has been the black wire. I always check to see that the wire I'm
getting has the bright finish, and it hasn't been any trouble at all.

I've used smaller/cheaper MIG welders in the past, and they've required too
much attention and adjustment to keep them operating.
The 135 just needs wire to operate, although I've changed the contact tip a
couple of times.

WB

"Gene T" wrote in message
Hi all,
For the past coupla year I have been contmplating getting a small MIG

welder
for doing repairs and small metal projects. I need one that will work

with
household current. Seems that most of these can weld up to 3/16 in-

probaly
more than enough for my needs. I am leaning towards using flux core wire
instead of gas. In my area I can get Lincoln, Century, Miller or Hobart.
This is only for occasional use so I don't need the top-of-the-line but
don't want to be stuck with a junker either. I would appreciate input on
any of these brands as to their pro/cons.
Thanks,
Gene

--

This message has been scanned by Norton Anti-virus software