Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default OT any watch recommendations?

I used Japanese multi-featured watches for years until I got tired of the watch
band lugs breaking off. I decided to go back to a metal watch. I decided to look
for one with a sapphire non-scratch crystal (like is used on supermarket
checkout lines) and stainless body and quartz crystal oscillator. I wound up
spending about $600 on a nice watch with blue face from Tag Heuer, seven years
later it still looks brand new. It isn't atomic clock controlled, but I only
have to adjust the time a couple of times a year when daylight time swaps, also
we have several atomic wall clocks in our house so if accuracy of 3 sec error
is important I can look at one of those. In addition, I wonder if those atomic
watches work overseas. Anyway, that's what I did, it was a dollarectomy compared
to the Casio Databanks I used to buy at Sears but I've loved this watch ever since.

GWE

Ignoramus21707 wrote:

I bought a CASIO watch a couple of years ago, that had a solar powered
battery and a radio synchronization with atomic clock. It was actually
very nice, but now the battery loses its charge too fast. It is
basically unusable. That's so sad, as I was hoping that I bought a
watch to last me many years.

Anyway, I am looking for a new watch, my main concern is durability
and ability to maintain accurate time by this atomic clock feature. I
loved it. I do not want to pay money for prestige or looks, only for
function.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 07:45:22 -0800, the renowned Grant Erwin
wrote:

[...]

I like my Breitling a lot. The sapphire crystal with AR coating (on
both sides) is great, as is the titanium case, and the functions are
intuitive. Sure, it cost more than any of the watches in the drawer
full of Casios and Seikos that I don't use any more, but it holds up a
heck of a lot better. Feel the heft of these things-- you could
probably pound nails in with them-- these are no namby-pamby dress
watches. Anything over about USD $500 should have a sapphire crystal,
but check. Sam's Club and Costco sell the Tag Heuer for relatively
reasonable prices, IIRC. Funny thing is, I set out to buy a
replacement for a unique metal-case Seiko that a visitor from Japan
had given me as a gift many years ago (not available outside of Japan)
and that was functionally the closest I could find, with cost no
consideration. Ten years on, it's still great. If you really want to
look like a pilot (or a wannabe-pilot dork with money to burn) you can
get the one with the 121.5 MHz emergency beacon.

http://www.breitling.com/en/models/p...nal/emergency/

Although it's not this class of watch (in accuracy or durability), one
day I'll have to get the old Bulova Accutron going again. A piece of
history there.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Whatever makes you feel good. I own/have owned Baume-Mercier, Patek
Philipe, Movado, Universal Geneve, Rolex, Omega, and many I have forgotten.
Oh, there's the Seikos, Timexes, Swiss Army, and countless cheaper watches.

A watch is a watch is a watch. All I want is to look at it and tell the
time. I currently own several watches, but don't really like wearing them
except as jewelry, and most of the time I have a good idea of what time it
is, or I look at my cell phone.

Whatever winds yer clock.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 08:41:01 -0800, the renowned "Steve B"
wrote:

A watch is a watch is a watch. All I want is to look at it and tell the
time. I currently own several watches, but don't really like wearing them
except as jewelry, and most of the time I have a good idea of what time it
is, or I look at my cell phone.

Right. A cellphone makes an excellent pocket watch. Mine (not
particularly expensive) shows the time without flipping it open, has a
stopwatch function, most of them have calculators, with backlight
which are great in a pinch. I've even heard of a cheap one with a LED
flashlight built in. But they don't tend to last long, at least mine
don't, i'm on my 6th one in 8 years. shrug

Whatever winds yer clock.
Steve

Indeed. And, as this is rcm, there are safety considerations with
wris****ches around machinery. The elastomer straps on the Casios will
probably snap before your wrist does if you are careless and get it
caught on something.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

I bought a Casio watch a few years ago. I liked it until it needed a
battery. It was impossibly to user-replace, and the regular
watch-battery kiosks would not touch it. It's in the junk drawer.
- -
Rex B

Thanks gentlemen. I would rather buy a $10 watch and a 590 welder
than a $600 watch, personally speaking. In any case, I will try to get
this Casio watch fixed first. If this path proves to be fruitless, I
may simply wear throwaway $10 watches, knowing that they go bad once
every so often. The reason why I need an accurate watch is mostly so
that I do not miss my train.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons

In article , ignoramus7443
@NOSPAM.7443.invalid says...

Thanks gentlemen. I would rather buy a $10 watch and a 590 welder
than a $600 watch, personally speaking. In any case, I will try to get
this Casio watch fixed first. If this path proves to be fruitless, I
may simply wear throwaway $10 watches, knowing that they go bad once
every so often. The reason why I need an accurate watch is mostly so
that I do not miss my train.

My sentiments exactly. I'm on my second Casio F-28W...
http://www.sureneeds.com/sureneeds/f28w1.html
I think I've also seen them in Walmart.

I hate wearing a watch, so it hangs on my keychain with one of those
velcro cable organizers as a replacement for the band. The claimed 7
year battery life ($1/year) is about right, and the current one gains
less than a minute between each Daylight Savings change.

Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 11:09:45 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Rex
B quickly quoth:

I bought a Casio watch a few years ago. I liked it until it needed a
battery. It was impossibly to user-replace, and the regular
watch-battery kiosks would not touch it. It's in the junk drawer.

I've usually either lost it (3rd broken band on a vehicle with my arm
outside) or scratched it beyond repair (5 years of getting into hot,
dusty, sharp, greasy, or wet places) by the time that many years roll
around.

But the 2 times I've had batteries replaced in my Casios, the jewelry
store did it at no extra cost, included in the price of the $3-4
battery. Now I own several small sets of screwdrivers and could do it
myself if I were so inclined. Instead, I write off $4 per year for
watch use and after 5 years or so, I get a new one. Not a prob.

--
Like they say, 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
http://diversify.com Lawyer-free Website Development
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wrace

My favorite work watch is the original Casio G-shock (one of the watches in
Larry's link there). I absolutely cannot stand the giant ungainly G-shocks
that are the current model. When my original finally went down for the count
for good, I found another original G-shock at Wal-Mart for $30, but they
were clearing them out (old model).

I can't stand to wear a metal banded watch when working in the shop, and the
original g-shock is one of the few rubber banded watches that will fit my
big wrists.

Larry, does the $9 watch in your ebay link have a pretty generous sized
band??

Thanks
Wayne

Yeah, that's for SURE! http://search.ebay.com/casio-w71
This is the best watch ever built for guys like us who ceaselessly
batter them senseless and dunk 'em in all sorts of liquids.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 21:31:07 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"wrace" quickly quoth:

My favorite work watch is the original Casio G-shock (one of the watches in

I dislike the G-shocks because there is more advertising on there than
I can possibly stand. I much prefer more muted text on a watch
because I already KNOW it's water-rated to 50 or 150M, does alarm,
chrono, can withstand any kind of shock I've ever tried against it,
etc.

I loved the old style which had a countdown alarm, but those are 2x+
the price now (WTF for?) so I do without. 'Twas handy, not invaluable.

Larry's link there). I absolutely cannot stand the giant ungainly G-shocks
that are the current model. When my original finally went down for the count
for good, I found another original G-shock at Wal-Mart for $30, but they
were clearing them out (old model).

I can't stand to wear a metal banded watch when working in the shop, and the
original g-shock is one of the few rubber banded watches that will fit my
big wrists.

Larry, does the $9 watch in your ebay link have a pretty generous sized
band??

Yes. I have fairly large wrists and have never had a problem. The
current, a $19.95 Casio F-105 from Wally World, has 3 extra holes
beyond where I strap it.

I just measured my wrist diameter where I wear the watch and it's
right about 7 inches, FWIW.

--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Rex B "":
I bought a Casio watch a few years ago. I liked it until it needed a
battery. It was impossibly to user-replace, and the regular
watch-battery kiosks would not touch it. It's in the junk drawer.

I have a Casio "Twincept" (mechanical hands plus a LCD digital
readout on the crystal) which I got perhaps fifteen years ago.

Access to change the battery requires a tiny Phillips
screwdriver to remove four screws in the "corners" of the back plate,
and then a tiny straight blade to release the clip holding the batteries
in place. (There are two.) They are easy to get, and when you have
replaced them, you have to short a pad on the circuit board to the metal
plate through which you access it (using the tiny screwdriver again) to
reset the logic. After that, you can again set the watch as usual.

I've changed the batteries about twice, IIRC -- once every five
years, so it is getting close to time to do so again.

The back plate (and screws) are stainless steel, and the body is
a black plastic (probably Delrin).

The band failed once, and I got a new one fitted by a local
jeweler (though I could have done it, he would not sell an unmodified
one, for whatever reason. :-)

Previous digital watches tended to have the case corrode after a
few years of summer perspiration. This one has had no problems.

FWIW, the model is "WR 50M", though I suspect that it is no
longer made.

I never have used the "store a phone number list" feature, nor
the "Alarm" feature (It is too high pitched for me to hear), though the
"World Time" feature has come in handy, it includes the ability to set
the time zone while on travel without disturbing your normal time zone
setting.

Now -- if it only knew enough to switch to DST and back at the
appropriate times -- or even had a button to allow me to manually
select/deselect DST without having to re-set the time, I would be
totally pleased with it.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Spehro Pefhany :

[ ... ]

Indeed. And, as this is rcm, there are safety considerations with
wris****ches around machinery. The elastomer straps on the Casios will
probably snap before your wrist does if you are careless and get it
caught on something.

I keep a (fake, small) carabiner on my belt for keys, and as I
step into the shop, the watch and the wedding ring are transferred to
that, not to return to my wrist and finger until I exit the shop.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

[...]

Seikos? In the trading mood? Autos only of course.

http://www.breitling.com/en/models/p...nal/emergency/

Although it's not this class of watch (in accuracy or durability), one
day I'll have to get the old Bulova Accutron going again. A piece of
history there.

Space View or standard? Ive a couple Space Views.

Dad was a watchmaker for 30 yrs.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

[...]

I recently brought up the subject..and Jim Rozen suggested a F-91W
Casio. The wife bought me one for Christmas via Ebay..and while not as
rugged as my prefered G-Shock Classics..its more than adequate for my
needs and has been keeping time to within one or 2 seconds according
to WWV

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:19:25 GMT, Ignoramus7443
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:56:08 -0800, wrote:
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:49:33 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus7443 quickly quoth:

Thanks gentlemen. I would rather buy a $10 watch and a 590 welder
than a $600 watch, personally speaking.

Yeah, that's for SURE!
http://search.ebay.com/casio-w71
This is the best watch ever built for guys like us who ceaselessly
batter them senseless and dunk 'em in all sorts of liquids.

Looks good. I think that I will buy one regardless of my casio watch
repair situation. Thanks Larry.

For the Ultimate watch band...

http://www.donjuanbands.com/

These are extremely popular here in the oil fields and in the
construction trades. They last forever and if you hang up the band on
something..it will pop off, rather than taking your arm or wrist off

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3