Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Default OT any watch recommendations?

Ignoramus21707 wrote:

I bought a CASIO watch a couple of years ago, that had a solar powered
battery and a radio synchronization with atomic clock. It was actually
very nice, but now the battery loses its charge too fast. It is
basically unusable. That's so sad, as I was hoping that I bought a
watch to last me many years.

Anyway, I am looking for a new watch, my main concern is durability
and ability to maintain accurate time by this atomic clock feature. I
loved it. I do not want to pay money for prestige or looks, only for
function.

Any suggestions?

thanks

You can do a Google search through the archives of alt.horology. I am
pretty sure that the watch you have uses a capacitor rather than a
battery to store the power, and the symptoms you describe sound like the
typical failure mode.

In either case (battery/capacitor) there is the option of having it
repaired.

A post over on alt.horology that includes your locale and your wants
will probably get you some experienced feedback as to which watch you
should be looking for, or who to talk to to have yours fixed.

Me, I bought a Seiko 5. Mechanical, autowinding. Good 1970's technology
built to modern standards of quality. Only downside is that they are
more available in so called third world countries, where they amount to
a "working man's" watch rather than a fashion item. Cheap enough that I
can replace it rather than repair it when it finally quits. (under $100)

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Asberry

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 06:34:58 -0700, Trevor Jones
wrote:

Me, I bought a Seiko 5. Mechanical, autowinding. Good 1970's technology
built to modern standards of quality. Only downside is that they are
more available in so called third world countries, where they amount to
a "working man's" watch rather than a fashion item. Cheap enough that I
can replace it rather than repair it when it finally quits. (under $100)

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Bingo! The best investment I ever made. $28.50 at the Cu Chi, Vietnam
PX in January 1968. Buffed a scratch out of the crystal once. Still
has the original band. Steam technology; but just as tough.