Andy

Default Unusual trade: Woodwork for a vintage watch?

Hi there,

I'm not a regular poster to rec.woodworking, but I had an interesting
idea. I'm an amateur watch repairer, and I'd like to have a small
wood case made for some tools. In exchange, I'll give you a vintage
watch like an Elgin Sportsman from the '50s or a pocket watch from the
1910-1920s. If you're interested, I'll include photos of the movement
as I service it along with a description.

Here's the current tools and plastic box (the shortcut link goes to a
picture):

http://snipurl.com/5y1f

The plastic box is about 2" x 3" x 4". I was thinking of a solid
block bottom with holes drilled for the parts, then a box lid that
would fit over the tops of the tools. Hinges and a latch would be
nice but not necessary. I can provide much better measurmements of
everything, of course.

The watch would be something like one of these Elgin pocket watches.
These are from the 1910s and were made in Elgin, IL. They have finely
decorated movements and have many features you don't see in modern
watches like breuget overcoil hairsprings, safety pinions, heat-blued
hands, enamel dials.... I could prattle on for hours--this is my
hobby!

http://snipurl.com/5y1g

http://snipurl.com/5y1h

Or a wrist watch like the Elgin Sportsman. They typically have Swiss
hand-wind movements and are from the '50s.

http://snipurl.com/5y1i

What do you think? Anyone up for some hobby trading? Drop me an
e-mail.

Andy-