Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

Default Vacuum pump seized?

freon plus moisture produces acid which corrodes the insides of refrig
pumps - i'm not surprised it's seized. oil may free it (try kroil) or
try coke - the acid and foam will often free stuck pistons in a few
days

On 11 Feb 2006 06:44:48 GMT, Ignoramus11720
wrote:

I got this DV-142 vacuum pump (refrigeration style) and am a little
bit disappointed. It seems seized. If I turn it on, it shakes, the
motor hums, but the pump does not spin. The motor is coupled to the
pump with a flexible coupling and it becomes visibly strained, but no
movement. The motor seems to be fine.

I have a feeling that this pump is rusted inside and should be simply
thrown away. While I am upset about it, the rest of the stuff in that
lot seems like good stuff, such as a box of belts, 100 lbs Owatonna
universal puller kit, concrete vibrator and two manual hydraulic
pumps, so on balance it is likely to wotk out. But the pump is in quite
sad condition.

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

since the pump is now working you don't want to try the coke trick,
but.... it's an old engine trick - you can often free stuck pistons
from their cylinders even when there is pretty heavy corrosion by
pouring coke into the cylinders and letting it sit for a while - this
would not be the first thing you would choose, but it's better than
cutting the pistons out with a cold chisel (which I had to do on my 38
plymouth).

On 11 Feb 2006 19:58:33 GMT, Ignoramus1088
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 23:37:43 -0800, William B Noble (don't reply to this address) wrote:
freon plus moisture produces acid which corrodes the insides of refrig
pumps - i'm not surprised it's seized. oil may free it (try kroil) or
try coke - the acid and foam will often free stuck pistons in a few
days

Thanks Bill. I already filled the pump with oil, I am kind of doubtful
that it will help. I may remove the motor and try to turn the shaft
with a wrench. As for Coke, do you suggest pouring it in instead of
vacuum oil?

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Ignoramus7443 :
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:59:02 -0800, William B Noble (don't reply to this address)
wrote:
since the pump is now working you don't want to try the coke trick,
but.... it's an old engine trick - you can often free stuck pistons
from their cylinders even when there is pretty heavy corrosion by
pouring coke into the cylinders and letting it sit for a while - this
would not be the first thing you would choose, but it's better than
cutting the pistons out with a cold chisel (which I had to do on my 38
plymouth).

Bill, I will remember this trick. Meanwhile, I have located where the
exhaust comes out of -- it comes out of the carrying handle! There is
a little threaded bit on it, so, I think, I will be able to attach an
exhaust filter. I have intake and exhaust filters from truly broken
(fully rusted) 1/3 HP vacuum pumps.

The optimum filter should provide metal onto which the oil
condenses, and be shaped so the condensed oil runs back into the exhaust
port to return to the pump for re-use.

This is easier with a pump with a vertical exhaust, of course.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564