Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

Default Vacuum pump seized?

freon plus moisture produces acid which corrodes the insides of refrig
pumps - i'm not surprised it's seized. oil may free it (try kroil) or
try coke - the acid and foam will often free stuck pistons in a few
days

On 11 Feb 2006 06:44:48 GMT, Ignoramus11720
wrote:

I got this DV-142 vacuum pump (refrigeration style) and am a little
bit disappointed. It seems seized. If I turn it on, it shakes, the
motor hums, but the pump does not spin. The motor is coupled to the
pump with a flexible coupling and it becomes visibly strained, but no
movement. The motor seems to be fine.

I have a feeling that this pump is rusted inside and should be simply
thrown away. While I am upset about it, the rest of the stuff in that
lot seems like good stuff, such as a box of belts, 100 lbs Owatonna
universal puller kit, concrete vibrator and two manual hydraulic
pumps, so on balance it is likely to wotk out. But the pump is in quite
sad condition.

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com