Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

Default Vacuum pump seized?

since the pump is now working you don't want to try the coke trick,
but.... it's an old engine trick - you can often free stuck pistons
from their cylinders even when there is pretty heavy corrosion by
pouring coke into the cylinders and letting it sit for a while - this
would not be the first thing you would choose, but it's better than
cutting the pistons out with a cold chisel (which I had to do on my 38
plymouth).

On 11 Feb 2006 19:58:33 GMT, Ignoramus1088
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 23:37:43 -0800, William B Noble (don't reply to this address) wrote:
freon plus moisture produces acid which corrodes the insides of refrig
pumps - i'm not surprised it's seized. oil may free it (try kroil) or
try coke - the acid and foam will often free stuck pistons in a few
days

Thanks Bill. I already filled the pump with oil, I am kind of doubtful
that it will help. I may remove the motor and try to turn the shaft
with a wrench. As for Coke, do you suggest pouring it in instead of
vacuum oil?

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com