Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default Vacuum pump seized?

According to Ignoramus7443 :
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:59:02 -0800, William B Noble (don't reply to this address)
wrote:
since the pump is now working you don't want to try the coke trick,
but.... it's an old engine trick - you can often free stuck pistons
from their cylinders even when there is pretty heavy corrosion by
pouring coke into the cylinders and letting it sit for a while - this
would not be the first thing you would choose, but it's better than
cutting the pistons out with a cold chisel (which I had to do on my 38
plymouth).

Bill, I will remember this trick. Meanwhile, I have located where the
exhaust comes out of -- it comes out of the carrying handle! There is
a little threaded bit on it, so, I think, I will be able to attach an
exhaust filter. I have intake and exhaust filters from truly broken
(fully rusted) 1/3 HP vacuum pumps.

The optimum filter should provide metal onto which the oil
condenses, and be shaped so the condensed oil runs back into the exhaust
port to return to the pump for re-use.

This is easier with a pump with a vertical exhaust, of course.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564