Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

Default Just a good feeling

About 4 years ago a woman came to my shop looking for someone to
machine parts for her son. He needed the parts for a science project.
I tried to do the parts for free but she wouldn't hear of it. So I
just charged less. She didn't know what my shop rate was and I wasn't
about to tell her. Anyway, I saw this woman in the store the other
day, reminded her who I was, and asked about her son. He just got
accepted to both Caltech and MIT! He's going to MIT. I hope I helped a
little bit. Sure is cool to see people succeed.
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Eric R Snow wrote:
About 4 years ago a woman came to my shop looking for someone to
machine parts for her son. He needed the parts for a science project.
I tried to do the parts for free but she wouldn't hear of it. So I
just charged less. She didn't know what my shop rate was and I wasn't
about to tell her. Anyway, I saw this woman in the store the other
day, reminded her who I was, and asked about her son. He just got
accepted to both Caltech and MIT! He's going to MIT. I hope I helped a
little bit. Sure is cool to see people succeed.
ERS

Good for you Eric. Always nice to think your good deed contributes to a
positive result.

Rex
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
About 4 years ago a woman came to my shop looking for someone to
machine parts for her son. He needed the parts for a science project.
I tried to do the parts for free but she wouldn't hear of it. So I
just charged less. She didn't know what my shop rate was and I wasn't
about to tell her. Anyway, I saw this woman in the store the other
day, reminded her who I was, and asked about her son. He just got
accepted to both Caltech and MIT! He's going to MIT. I hope I helped a
little bit. Sure is cool to see people succeed.
ERS

Funny how every small pebble thrown into the pond affects the whole pond.

Some small act of kindness we do, some good deed changes everything
downstream.

And some of the smallest seemingly insignificant things we do can end up
changing the world, or at least some lives.

Good on you.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

In article ,
Eric R Snow wrote:

About 4 years ago a woman came to my shop looking for someone to
machine parts for her son. He needed the parts for a science project.
I tried to do the parts for free but she wouldn't hear of it. So I
just charged less. She didn't know what my shop rate was and I wasn't
about to tell her. Anyway, I saw this woman in the store the other
day, reminded her who I was, and asked about her son. He just got
accepted to both Caltech and MIT! He's going to MIT. I hope I helped a
little bit. Sure is cool to see people succeed.
ERS

Good feeling? Heck, I'd be walking about a foot above grade for a week!

Good on ya!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 22:32:10 GMT, John Husvar
wrote:

In article ,
Eric R Snow wrote:

About 4 years ago a woman came to my shop looking for someone to
machine parts for her son. He needed the parts for a science project.
I tried to do the parts for free but she wouldn't hear of it. So I
just charged less. She didn't know what my shop rate was and I wasn't
about to tell her. Anyway, I saw this woman in the store the other
day, reminded her who I was, and asked about her son. He just got
accepted to both Caltech and MIT! He's going to MIT. I hope I helped a
little bit. Sure is cool to see people succeed.
ERS

Good feeling? Heck, I'd be walking about a foot above grade for a week!

Good on ya!

Actually, good on the kid for doing what it takes to get accepted to
MIT. Thanks anyway though.
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tm

wrote:

Good on ya!

Actually, good on the kid for doing what it takes to get accepted to
MIT. Thanks anyway though.
ERS

Don't forget the Mom that took the time to seek you out and help the kid do
the project.
Probably deserves the most credit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Eric R Snow says...

Actually, good on the kid for doing what it takes to get accepted to
MIT. Thanks anyway though.
ERS

And good on the mom, who's going to see her way clear to
front $40K per year for her son's education. That's the
going rate, tuition, fees, room, and board. But it's money
well spent I would say.

And you deserve the collective 'thank you' for helping to
catalyze the reaction!

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

That is really cool!

I did something like that in the late 70's - Young man won the National Science
fair - and got a full at MIT. He is a doctor now.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Eric R Snow wrote:
About 4 years ago a woman came to my shop looking for someone to
machine parts for her son. He needed the parts for a science project.
I tried to do the parts for free but she wouldn't hear of it. So I
just charged less. She didn't know what my shop rate was and I wasn't
about to tell her. Anyway, I saw this woman in the store the other
day, reminded her who I was, and asked about her son. He just got
accepted to both Caltech and MIT! He's going to MIT. I hope I helped a
little bit. Sure is cool to see people succeed.
ERS

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn Ashmore

That is really satisfying. I have had 4 neighborhood kids working in my
shop off and on since they were Cub Scouts building derby cars. Spent 12
years encouraging them to become engineers or scientists. Now they are
grown up. One is a banker. one is pre med and the other two are in law
school. At least maybe I instilled a little mechanical aptitude. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Eric R Snow wrote:
About 4 years ago a woman came to my shop looking for someone to
machine parts for her son. He needed the parts for a science project.
I tried to do the parts for free but she wouldn't hear of it. So I
just charged less. She didn't know what my shop rate was and I wasn't
about to tell her. Anyway, I saw this woman in the store the other
day, reminded her who I was, and asked about her son. He just got
accepted to both Caltech and MIT! He's going to MIT. I hope I helped a
little bit. Sure is cool to see people succeed.
ERS

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

Aw well,one out of four ain't too bad!

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in
message news:qfeGf.23341$Dh.3646@dukeread04...
That is really satisfying. I have had 4
neighborhood kids working in my shop off and on
since they were Cub Scouts building derby cars.
Spent 12 years encouraging them to become
engineers or scientists. Now they are grown up.
One is a banker. one is pre med and the other
two are in law school. At least maybe I
instilled a little mechanical aptitude. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

I'm building a 45' cutter in strip/composite.
Watch my progress (or lack there of) at:
http://www.rutuonline.com
Shameless Commercial Division:
http://www.spade-anchor-us.com

"Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote in message
That is really cool!

I did something like that in the late 70's -
Young man won the National Science
fair - and got a full at MIT. He is a doctor
now.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
@ home at Lions' Lair with our computer
lionslair at consolidated dot net
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Eric R Snow wrote:
About 4 years ago a woman came to my shop
looking for someone to
machine parts for her son. He needed the parts
for a science project.
I tried to do the parts for free but she
wouldn't hear of it. So I
just charged less. She didn't know what my
shop rate was and I wasn't
about to tell her. Anyway, I saw this woman in
the store the other
day, reminded her who I was, and asked about
her son. He just got
accepted to both Caltech and MIT! He's going
to MIT. I hope I helped a
little bit. Sure is cool to see people
succeed.
ERS

Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup
Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total
Privacy via Encryption =----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

In article ,
Eric R Snow wrote:

Actually, good on the kid for doing what it takes to get accepted to
MIT. Thanks anyway though.
ERS

That too, and his mother, but you helped set him on the path.

So....Kudos anyhow!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 21:07:01 -0500, "Tm"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Good on ya!

Actually, good on the kid for doing what it takes to get accepted to
MIT. Thanks anyway though.
ERS

Don't forget the Mom that took the time to seek you out and help the kid do
the project.
Probably deserves the most credit.

Oh yeah. The kid had to try, but his parents were obviously doing the
right thing too.
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

As it turns out students are steered away from Engineering due to the
computer/network melt down - and so many uncertain jobs. I counseled a number
at an academy and got Doctor and civil engineer and maybe - still working - scientist.

One never knows.
Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member