Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Walker

Default OT - RC electric planes.

Starting to get very interested in RC planes again. (25 year hiatus) I
saw some videos of battery powered indoor planes, (Grand Wing Servo),
and was impressed. However, after reading the safety precautions for the
Lithium-Polymer cells, I'm concerned. See below. Anyone ever had
experience with Li-Po batteries?

1. Never fast-charge any battery type unattended.
2. Never charge LiPo cells/packs at any rate unattended.
3. Only charge LiPo cells/packs with a charger designed specifically for
lithium polymer chemistry. Example chargers include the Kokam LIPO
402, and Schulze chargers with lithium charging capability.
4. LiPo cells can ignite because of unmatched cell capacity or voltage,
cell damage, charger failure, incorrect charger settings and other factors.
5. Always use the correct charging voltage. LiPo cells/packs may ignite
if connected to a charger supplying more than 6 volts per cell.
6. Always assure the charger is working properly.
7. Always charge LiPo cells/packs where no harm can result, no matter
what happens.
8. Never charge a cell/pack in a model. A hot pack may ignite wood, foam
or plastic.
9. Never charge a cell/pack inside a motor vehicle, or in a vehicle’s
engine compartment.
10. Never charge a cell/pack on a wooden workbench, or on any flammable
material.
11. If a cell/pack is involved in a crash:

a. Remove the cell/pack from the model.
b. Carefully inspect the cell/pack for shorts in the wiring or
connections. If in doubt, cut all wires from the cell/pack.
c. Disassemble the pack.
d. Inspect cells for dents, cracks and splits. Dispose of damaged cells
(see below).

12. Dispose of cells/packs as follows:

a. Discharge: with the cell/pack in a safe area, connect a moderate
resistance across the terminals until the cell/pack is discharged.
CAUTION: cell/pack may be hot!
b. Discard:

- NiMH: place in regular trash.
- NiCd: recycle (cadmium is toxic).
- LiPo: puncture plastic envelope, immerse in salt water for several
hours, place in regular trash.

13. Handle all cells/packs with care, as they can deliver high currents
if shorted. Shorting by a ring, for example, will remove a finger.
14. Always store cells/packs in a secure location where they cannot be
shorted or handled by children.
15. When constructing a pack, use only cells of the same capacity (mAh).

Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

C'mon, Steve, it's not like you are pulling the pin on a hand grenade
when charging Li-Po cells. Actually, the electric R/C thing is huge, and
specialized smart chargers for the different cell types are abundant and
good quality.
Here's a site with much info and goodies:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

Home Page:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth
Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Take a look here for more info.
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/90/90mhappyfunball.phtml

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

I saw a twin motor, 2 chanel, 24" WS at a local store for $19.95

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
FrankRizzo

Hey Steve,
I have a co-worker whos been flyin RC for years and just
converted all his planes to Li-Po. Tells me all the time how much
lighter they are with better flight times. He did have one go bad on
him (swelled up) after a crash and followed the salt water directions
but you have to make sure you check the voltage goes all the way down
to 0.00 before you dispose of them or you could start a fire in the
trash. Here's another good Li-Po site...
www.rc-dymond.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott

Steve Walker wrote:

Starting to get very interested in RC planes again. (25 year hiatus) I
saw some videos of battery powered indoor planes, (Grand Wing Servo),
and was impressed. However, after reading the safety precautions for the
Lithium-Polymer cells, I'm concerned. See below. Anyone ever had
experience with Li-Po batteries?

-sensible LiPo handling instructions snipped-

Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)

Why, that sounds about as dangerous as gasoline!

So if you only ride a bicycle because of the danger of gasoline, then
yes, avoid LiPo batteries (and methanol fuel, for that matter).

Otherwise observe all due caution and have fun.

You may want to check out rec.models.rc.air -- good folks there,
although many have been drawn off into the web-based forums.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Join the AMA - airplane not medical - and get the insurance by doing so.
Then if an accident happens - you will be covered. Most if not all clubs
make you join AMA or another (don't recall) before membership.

I once flew 2 meter sail planes - using a 28 amp cobalt motor with special gearing
that would pull it up to 2000 feet and then I shut the power off to glide and
catch thermals with the birds.

Oh well - days gone.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--The trick is to not overcharge them.
--Speaking of electric R/C check out this beauty; might get you into
the great outdoors again! :-)
http://media.putfile.com/HydroFoam/wide

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Pasquale Gumbo?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Steve Walker wrote:

Starting to get very interested in RC planes again. (25 year hiatus) I
saw some videos of battery powered indoor planes, (Grand Wing Servo),
and was impressed. However, after reading the safety precautions for the
Lithium-Polymer cells, I'm concerned. See below. Anyone ever had
experience with Li-Po batteries?

They are safe enough. Follow the charging instructions and you can't go
far wrong.

A friend of mine insists on keeping a ceramic bowl on his workbench to
charge his LiPo batteries in, and it seems a reasonable precaution,
given that the failure mode involves jets of fire coming from the pack
in most extreme circumstances. Pretty much spells out the need to not
leave batteries charging unattended.

Were this a "common" occurance, I would expect that these batteries
would have been removed from the marketplace by now.

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Byrns

A friend of mine insists on keeping a ceramic bowl on his workbench to

charge his LiPo batteries in, and it seems a reasonable precaution,
given that the failure mode involves jets of fire coming from the pack
in most extreme circumstances. Pretty much spells out the need to not
leave batteries charging unattended.

Were this a "common" occurance, I would expect that these batteries
would have been removed from the marketplace by now.

I went to an indoor fun-fly and the Li-Po batteries were being charged
on ceramic tile squares and each charging station had a fire
extinguisher and someone watching the batteries. As you say, seems
reasonable.

-Carl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Bruder

In article ,
Carl Byrns wrote:

A friend of mine insists on keeping a ceramic bowl on his workbench to

charge his LiPo batteries in, and it seems a reasonable precaution,
given that the failure mode involves jets of fire coming from the pack
in most extreme circumstances. Pretty much spells out the need to not
leave batteries charging unattended.

Were this a "common" occurance, I would expect that these batteries
would have been removed from the marketplace by now.

I went to an indoor fun-fly and the Li-Po batteries were being charged
on ceramic tile squares and each charging station had a fire
extinguisher and someone watching the batteries. As you say, seems
reasonable.

-Carl

Aye. Seems to me to be about the same basic level of risk as posed by a
condition one weapon at the rifle range: Yes, (mis)use of both *COULD*
go horribly wrong and result in tragedy, but in both cases, if *PROPER
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS* are used (proper muzzle-control for the gun, ceramic
pads and a supervisor armed with extinguisher for the Li-Pos) the chance
of tragedy remains just that: A *CHANCE*, not an occurrence. And even if
(powers preserve) something goes awry, the precautions will go a long
way toward minimizing tragedy. After all, although it isn't *DESIRABLE*,
an AD/ND that goes down an empty range because proper muzzle-control was
being observed is basically a non-event - Same as a battery popping on
its plate and being doused with an extinguisher by an alert supervisor
is a non-event.

The "no blood, no foul" principle, y'might say.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info