Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
azotic

Default Vertical shaper/slotter on ebay

"AL" wrote in message

I've been watching a 6" vertical slotter on ebay for a few weeks. It was
listed at $900 by a machinery dealer in Detroit, but didn't sell and was
relisted a few times. They eventually lowered the price to $800. The
auction ended earlier today and it seemed some people got into a bidding
war. The winner got it for $1325 !

Examining the bid history it appears that there was a shill bidder, the
winner should have sniped and saved a few bucks.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
AL

I've been watching a 6" vertical slotter on ebay for a few weeks. It was
listed at $900 by a machinery dealer in Detroit, but didn't sell and was
relisted a few times. They eventually lowered the price to $800. The
auction ended earlier today and it seemed some people got into a bidding
war. The winner got it for $1325 !

I had never heard of the "Douglas" brand before. Were they comparable to
Pratt and Whitney?

I think I'll get an angle plate to mount a rotary table on my horizontal
shaper while I wait for a nice 6" Pratt and Whitney to come along in my
area, at the right price.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
azotic

Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote in message

"AL" wrote in message

I've been watching a 6" vertical slotter on ebay for a few weeks. It
was
listed at $900 by a machinery dealer in Detroit, but didn't sell and was
relisted a few times. They eventually lowered the price to $800. The
auction ended earlier today and it seemed some people got into a bidding
war. The winner got it for $1325 !

Examining the bid history it appears that there was a shill bidder, the
winner should have sniped and saved a few bucks.

Best Regards
Tom.

Not sure I understanding the bidding on this item.... paying attention
to the dates and especially the TIMES.... doesn't make sense to me.
Ken.

It just seems odd that a bidder thats been a ebay member since 2004 with
only 1 feedback for thier purchase of a Belly Dance Costume would
suddenly develope a burning desire to own a shaper/slotter and run
the price up in the last few minutes of bidding.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

"AL" wrote in message

I've been watching a 6" vertical slotter on ebay for a few weeks. It

was
listed at $900 by a machinery dealer in Detroit, but didn't sell and

was
relisted a few times. They eventually lowered the price to $800. The
auction ended earlier today and it seemed some people got into a

bidding
war. The winner got it for $1325 !

Examining the bid history it appears that there was a shill bidder, the
winner should have sniped and saved a few bucks.

Best Regards
Tom.

Not sure I understanding the bidding on this item.... paying attention
to the dates and especially the TIMES.... doesn't make sense to me.
Ken.

It's gotta be a shill. suzzannes' only other purchase was a belly dance
costume. What do you suppose a belly dancer would do with a big oily machine
with a ram that has a vertical stroke of 6" ? Substitute for a metronome?
Pig

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 12:33:08 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Wait" quickly quoth:

It's gotta be a shill. suzzannes' only other purchase was a belly dance
costume. What do you suppose a belly dancer would do with a big oily machine
with a ram that has a vertical stroke of 6" ? Substitute for a metronome?

Maybe she made enough doing belly dancinf to buy it for her husband,
who also has a stroke of 6".

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
http://www.diversify.com Refreshing Graphic Design

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
What exactly would this machine do that cannot be done in a 'horizontal'
shaper?

Ivan Vegvary

Not a machinist but:
Perhaps it's just easier to lie items to be slotted on their sides
rather than trying to set them up on edge vertically? On the other
hand if removing metal from a flat surface is the intended use perhaps
a horizontal shaper would better fill the need?

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

Key phrase is "cannot be done." Answer: Very little. However,
for many operations involving internal operations such as key
ways, the vertical shaper is much more convenient, and in the
machining business, time is money.

Also, because it is an attachment, it is one less full machine to
buy. Because it makes use of the slides on the mill, it was less
expensive than a full shaper, even a small one.

It is also much more "adjustable," for example compound angles,
than the "normal" horizontal shaper.

Uncle George

"AL" wrote in message
I've been watching a 6" vertical slotter on ebay for a few weeks. It was
listed at $900 by a machinery dealer in Detroit, but didn't sell and was
relisted a few times. They eventually lowered the price to $800. The
auction ended earlier today and it seemed some people got into a bidding
war. The winner got it for $1325 !

I had never heard of the "Douglas" brand before. Were they comparable to
Pratt and Whitney?

I think I'll get an angle plate to mount a rotary table on my horizontal
shaper while I wait for a nice 6" Pratt and Whitney to come along in my
area, at the right price.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

"Examining the bid history it appears that there was a shill bidder,
the
winner should have sniped and saved a few bucks. "

Yep, definitely a shill.

And not a very good one....they could have squeezed more money out of
the mark.

One positive point is that "penny248michcom" is now going on my list of
Ebay sellers not to deal with in the future.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Daniel A. Mitchell

rigger wrote:

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

What exactly would this machine do that cannot be done in a 'horizontal'
shaper?

Ivan Vegvary

Not a machinist but:
Perhaps it's just easier to lie items to be slotted on their sides
rather than trying to set them up on edge vertically? On the other
hand if removing metal from a flat surface is the intended use perhaps
a horizontal shaper would better fill the need?

dennis
in nca

That's true, in that probably a horizontal shaper could do the same
work, but less conveniently. Most such vertical slotters also have what
amounts to a large rotary table built-in, thus making it easier to cut
splines, gear teeth, etc.

Dan Mitchell
============
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Daniel A. Mitchell

"AL" wrote in message

I've been watching a 6" vertical slotter on ebay for a few weeks. It was
listed at $900 by a machinery dealer in Detroit, but didn't sell and was
relisted a few times. They eventually lowered the price to $800. The
auction ended earlier today and it seemed some people got into a bidding
war. The winner got it for $1325 !

I had never heard of the "Douglas" brand before. Were they comparable to
Pratt and Whitney?

I think I'll get an angle plate to mount a rotary table on my horizontal
shaper while I wait for a nice 6" Pratt and Whitney to come along in my
area, at the right price.

The machine in question was a 'real' slotter, not the BP attachment.
Otherwise, what you say is true. The only other issue is the rotary
table that is an integral part of most slotters.

Dan Mitchell
============
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff R

"AL" wrote in message

I had never heard of the "Douglas" brand before. Were they comparable to
Pratt and Whitney?

Not that it helps much, but *most* state high schools in NSW (Australia)
were supplied with their own Douglas shaper (horizontal - 6?") many years
ago. Some of us still use them! :-)
*Could* be the same "Douglas".

--
Jeff R.
(loves antiques)

LA7838 Vertical IC and Mitsubishi CS-3535R Mark D. Zacharias Electronics Repair 3 October 17th 05 09:33 PM
EBay hack Don Foreman Metalworking 59 March 23rd 05 02:32 AM
eBay Scam Marv Soloff Metalworking 5 December 31st 03 01:16 PM
Zienth Vertical Squish (How do I find and test the Capacitor?) Kevin Cornwell Electronics Repair 8 September 15th 03 02:17 PM
Big battle with WEIRD vertical deflection problem in PTK195 chassis. Asimov Electronics Repair 2 September 13th 03 02:29 AM