Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Daniel A. Mitchell

Default Vertical shaper/slotter on ebay

F. George McDuffee wrote:

Key phrase is "cannot be done." Answer: Very little. However,
for many operations involving internal operations such as key
ways, the vertical shaper is much more convenient, and in the
machining business, time is money.

Also, because it is an attachment, it is one less full machine to
buy. Because it makes use of the slides on the mill, it was less
expensive than a full shaper, even a small one.

It is also much more "adjustable," for example compound angles,
than the "normal" horizontal shaper.

Uncle George

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 16:12:50 GMT, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

What exactly would this machine do that cannot be done in a 'horizontal'
shaper?

Ivan Vegvary

"AL" wrote in message

I've been watching a 6" vertical slotter on ebay for a few weeks. It was
listed at $900 by a machinery dealer in Detroit, but didn't sell and was
relisted a few times. They eventually lowered the price to $800. The
auction ended earlier today and it seemed some people got into a bidding
war. The winner got it for $1325 !

I had never heard of the "Douglas" brand before. Were they comparable to
Pratt and Whitney?

I think I'll get an angle plate to mount a rotary table on my horizontal
shaper while I wait for a nice 6" Pratt and Whitney to come along in my
area, at the right price.

The machine in question was a 'real' slotter, not the BP attachment.
Otherwise, what you say is true. The only other issue is the rotary
table that is an integral part of most slotters.

Dan Mitchell