Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
srazor

Default HF and Grizzly horizontal/bandsaw

Looking to buy a metal cutting bandsaw to cut O1 tool steel in order to make plane blades for some of my old planes and my custom shop made planes. Max thinkness of steel wil be 1/4 inch and width max 3 inches, Any advice on either of the saws (they seem to be identical)

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1010

thanks

Scot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Polymer Man

srazor wrote:
Looking to buy a metal cutting bandsaw to cut O1 tool steel in order to make plane blades for some of my old planes and my custom shop made planes. Max thinkness of steel wil be 1/4 inch and width max 3 inches, Any advice on either of the saws (they seem to be identical)

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1010

thanks

Scot

Scot,

I bought the HF saw about ten years ago and it worked great. It even
saw some production use.

A little later I got one for myself as a "starter" tool for my home
shop, and I still use it some even today.

I recommended one to a friend who was going to get an abrasive chop
saw. He got one, on my recommendation, and the sad little POS won't
keep its blade on. I've tried adjusting everything but I can't figure
out why the blade pops off with even a light cut.

So, two out of three were good saws.

I have quenched O1 and found that sometime long sections warp a bit,
requires grinding. I wonder if an air hardening steel would be less
work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

srazor wrote:
Looking to buy a metal cutting bandsaw to cut O1 tool steel in order to make plane blades for some of my old planes and my custom shop made planes. Max thinkness of steel wil be 1/4 inch and width max 3 inches, Any advice on either of the saws (they seem to be identical)

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1010

there is a Yahoo group just for these saws. Lots of online information
on them.

Homier makes the same saw, currently at $99.99.
Homier also has a new design for about $200 that is much better. In
fact Grizzly sells that one for over $400.

Usual advice is to by the cheapest one, immediately replace the blade
with a quality US-made bimetal 10-14 blade. tighten the blade tension
know as hard as you can by hand.
If you need parts, call Grizzly.

Some people have had to tweak the guide rollers a bit to make them cut
straight, some say they will shave accurate wafers off right out of the box.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Polymer Man wrote:
I recommended one to a friend who was going to get an abrasive chop
saw. He got one, on my recommendation, and the sad little POS won't
keep its blade on. I've tried adjusting everything but I can't figure
out why the blade pops off with even a light cut.

Have you changed the blade? The OE blade is garbage.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

These saws are not the same- some people have had good luck with the
real cheap ones, and good for them- but I have seen a definite
difference in quality between the "same" saws and other tools.
I usually only buy Jet, when it comes to cheapo imports.
I find the motors are better, the fasteners are better, the electricals
are better, and the castings are better. Their little saw has some
differences in design as well- the cheapest ones dont even have
bearings on the blade guides while the Jet does.
But above all else, Jet actually stocks parts, has tech guys who you
can talk to on the phone who know what they are talking about, and
stands behind their products- I recently had them send me free parts
for a Jet tool I bought in 1978. Try that with Hornier or Harbor
freight.

Jet has been in business since 1958, and since 82 has been owned by a
swiss conglomerate- I just trust em more. The actual dollar amount of
difference here is $200 max- and for me, in a working shop, my time is
worth enough that not having to rebuild a tool constantly is worth $200
mighty fast.

Grizzly would be my second choice- I think grizzly tools are noticeably
inferior to Jet, but they have very good parts and service backup, as
opposed to almost every other import, which are basically, we opened
the container- our job is done.

But hey, buy the cheapest if you want. Just dont complain when it
breaks, and there are no parts available.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

On 2 Feb 2006 15:22:52 -0800, "Polymer Man"
wrote:

srazor wrote:
[...]

This usually has to do with the alignment of the wheels. I know of
one saw that had to have the gear box shimmed before it would keep
blades on.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Polymer Man

"Have you changed the blade? The OE blade is garbage. "

Yes, to a Starret, which is the best blade I've found.

"This usually has to do with the alignment of the wheels. "

I aligned the main wheels. I also correctly adjusted the six blade
roller guides.

The best I can figure it there's too much side to side play in the
tension adjustment. I plan to shim it. I have no idea if it will help.

I'll look at shimming the gear box and see if I overlooked something.
Good idea.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Indeed, there are differences.
MSC seems to have one a cut above the bunch. Don't know how it rates next
to a jet, but I know it's better than mine--which I get by on.
Problem is, how does one compare before hand?

Parts: The place I bought my saw from (Westchester Tool, in NY) has a whole
pile of these saw parts in the corner of their warehouse.
I get my parts free, too--all's I gotta do is go over and root thru the
pile.
One of the advantages to buying local.

I'm thinking of pimping my 4x6 out, putting a pan w/ continuous coolant on
it--mebbe even some pneumatics, tryna automate it. To dream....

Wilton makes a 4x6, if you can find one used. I think the chinese mebbe
copied theirs.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg G

I too bought one about 10 years ago -- HF -- and concur with all. Mine is
still in use today. Consider the blade as a shipping band and discard at
setup -- I use bimetal blades. Stand over it for more than 5 min. and you
will understand one of my big concerns -- it's made for users like the
manufacturers -- no one over 5' tall. I built leg extensions from 2 x 4s,
relocated the wheels, crossbraced and built a scrap box between all. Now it
serves my avocation needs -- not bad for $129 delivered.

Greg

"Polymer Man" wrote in message
ups.com...

srazor wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Alan Wright

The Grizzly has a bigger motor, sturdier stand, and better blade guides.

My HF took about 8 hours of fixing and reworking to get it to function,
and I had to replace the motor with the Grizzly one. Total price was
more than the Grizzly.

Alan

"srazor" wrote in message
Looking to buy a metal cutting bandsaw to cut O1 tool steel in order to

make plane blades for some of my old planes and my custom shop made planes.
Max thinkness of steel wil be 1/4 inch and width max 3 inches, Any advice on
either of the saws (they seem to be identical)

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1010

thanks

Scot

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You'll get all sorts of replies depending on the luck of the draw. If
you've got either store locally, go pick it up, if there's something
wrong, you can return it without incurring shipping costs. I guess I
was pretty lucky, I got my for $89 on a one-time in-store sale at HF.
It's Taiwanese-made, as have been most of the smaller ones I've seen at
HF. No major problems other than ditching the banding-iron original
blade for Lenox. I changed out the gear oil, too, just as a
preventative measure, some folks have had core sand in the gear boxes.
No sand in mine. The guides needed just a little tweaking to get a
square cut.

If you've got to have one shipped in, take a look at Enco. They used
to have a deal where you could pay a little more and get a U.S.-made
U.L.-listed motor, probably worth it. Usually various breaks on
shipping, too. When they still had stores, the ones I saw on display
looked pretty well made.

Stan