Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default HF and Grizzly horizontal/bandsaw

Indeed, there are differences.
MSC seems to have one a cut above the bunch. Don't know how it rates next
to a jet, but I know it's better than mine--which I get by on.
Problem is, how does one compare before hand?

Parts: The place I bought my saw from (Westchester Tool, in NY) has a whole
pile of these saw parts in the corner of their warehouse.
I get my parts free, too--all's I gotta do is go over and root thru the
pile.
One of the advantages to buying local.

I'm thinking of pimping my 4x6 out, putting a pan w/ continuous coolant on
it--mebbe even some pneumatics, tryna automate it. To dream....

Wilton makes a 4x6, if you can find one used. I think the chinese mebbe
copied theirs.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
wrote in message
ups.com...
These saws are not the same- some people have had good luck with the
real cheap ones, and good for them- but I have seen a definite
difference in quality between the "same" saws and other tools.
I usually only buy Jet, when it comes to cheapo imports.
I find the motors are better, the fasteners are better, the electricals
are better, and the castings are better. Their little saw has some
differences in design as well- the cheapest ones dont even have
bearings on the blade guides while the Jet does.
But above all else, Jet actually stocks parts, has tech guys who you
can talk to on the phone who know what they are talking about, and
stands behind their products- I recently had them send me free parts
for a Jet tool I bought in 1978. Try that with Hornier or Harbor
freight.

Jet has been in business since 1958, and since 82 has been owned by a
swiss conglomerate- I just trust em more. The actual dollar amount of
difference here is $200 max- and for me, in a working shop, my time is
worth enough that not having to rebuild a tool constantly is worth $200
mighty fast.

Grizzly would be my second choice- I think grizzly tools are noticeably
inferior to Jet, but they have very good parts and service backup, as
opposed to almost every other import, which are basically, we opened
the container- our job is done.

But hey, buy the cheapest if you want. Just dont complain when it
breaks, and there are no parts available.