Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg G

Default HF and Grizzly horizontal/bandsaw

I too bought one about 10 years ago -- HF -- and concur with all. Mine is
still in use today. Consider the blade as a shipping band and discard at
setup -- I use bimetal blades. Stand over it for more than 5 min. and you
will understand one of my big concerns -- it's made for users like the
manufacturers -- no one over 5' tall. I built leg extensions from 2 x 4s,
relocated the wheels, crossbraced and built a scrap box between all. Now it
serves my avocation needs -- not bad for $129 delivered.

Greg

"Polymer Man" wrote in message
ups.com...

srazor wrote:
Looking to buy a metal cutting bandsaw to cut O1 tool steel in order to

make plane blades for some of my old planes and my custom shop made planes.
Max thinkness of steel wil be 1/4 inch and width max 3 inches, Any advice on
either of the saws (they seem to be identical)

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1010

thanks

Scot

Scot,

I bought the HF saw about ten years ago and it worked great. It even
saw some production use.

A little later I got one for myself as a "starter" tool for my home
shop, and I still use it some even today.

I recommended one to a friend who was going to get an abrasive chop
saw. He got one, on my recommendation, and the sad little POS won't
keep its blade on. I've tried adjusting everything but I can't figure
out why the blade pops off with even a light cut.

So, two out of three were good saws.

I have quenched O1 and found that sometime long sections warp a bit,
requires grinding. I wonder if an air hardening steel would be less
work.