Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

Default HF and Grizzly horizontal/bandsaw

On 2 Feb 2006 15:22:52 -0800, "Polymer Man"
wrote:

srazor wrote:
Looking to buy a metal cutting bandsaw to cut O1 tool steel in order to make plane blades for some of my old planes and my custom shop made planes. Max thinkness of steel wil be 1/4 inch and width max 3 inches, Any advice on either of the saws (they seem to be identical)

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1010

thanks

Scot

Scot,

I bought the HF saw about ten years ago and it worked great. It even
saw some production use.

A little later I got one for myself as a "starter" tool for my home
shop, and I still use it some even today.

I recommended one to a friend who was going to get an abrasive chop
saw. He got one, on my recommendation, and the sad little POS won't
keep its blade on. I've tried adjusting everything but I can't figure
out why the blade pops off with even a light cut.

This usually has to do with the alignment of the wheels. I know of
one saw that had to have the gear box shimmed before it would keep
blades on.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm