Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

Default lathe classifications -- whats a chucker

How does a "chucker" lathe differ from other types?

I know about turret lathes, engine lathes, toolroom lathes...
I've tried to tell from pictures and references on the net,
but I still don't really know what a "chucker" is used for.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Mike Berger wrote:

How does a "chucker" lathe differ from other types?

I know about turret lathes, engine lathes, toolroom lathes...
I've tried to tell from pictures and references on the net,
but I still don't really know what a "chucker" is used for.

The ones I remember being called "Chuckers" were like scaled up "swiss
automatic" lathes which, once set up, would create and part off an
entire turned/threaded piece without operator assistance, other than
shoving a new bar of stock into the back end of the spindle when needed.
I think I've seen ones which even did that stock replenishing by themselves.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary

A chucker is a "second op" production machine. Used to finish parts
started on bigger machines by doing such jobs as internal and external
threads etc. Made obsolete by cnc machines.
73 Gary N9ZSV

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Boris Beizer

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
How does a "chucker" lathe differ from other types?

I know about turret lathes, engine lathes, toolroom lathes...
I've tried to tell from pictures and references on the net,
but I still don't really know what a "chucker" is used for.

A chucker is a production machine. It may have multiple spindles. It has a
number of different tool holders and attachments that allows it to make many
different, complex parts. For example: bar stock is loaded, pushed out to
desired length, faced, and cut down to two different diameters. Then a ball
turner is applied to round off the middle, followed by drilling through with
several steps, o-ring grooves, and then cut off. It is like a screw
machine writ large. It is called a chucker because it typically feeds bar
stock through the spindle into a chuck.

Boris

--

-------------------------------------
Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email bsquare "at" earthlink.net

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Anthony

Mike Berger wrote in news:dre5j4$k4u$4
@roundup.shout.net:

How does a "chucker" lathe differ from other types?

I know about turret lathes, engine lathes, toolroom lathes...
I've tried to tell from pictures and references on the net,
but I still don't really know what a "chucker" is used for.

Hehe..what wild explinations in this thread.
Simply put Mike, a "chucker" is a lathe that has no tailstock. These are
normally production machines meant to run short-length parts, or collet
equiped machines.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne

How many chuck keys can a lathe chuck chuck
when a lathe chuck chucks keys?

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 00:00:49 GMT, Tom Gardner
wrote:

Every lathe is a chucker...just leave the key in and turn it on.

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
How does a "chucker" lathe differ from other types?

I know about turret lathes, engine lathes, toolroom lathes...
I've tried to tell from pictures and references on the net,
but I still don't really know what a "chucker" is used for.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Yeah, most of them are Hardinge's, and the goddamm price *never* goes down!
Very nice to work on.

Often have handle-actuated turrets, sometimes a separate parting attachment,
and nice motorized powerfeed in x,y, continuously variable spindle speed,
coolant, you name it....
And inlaid *ivory* on the goddamm handles!! No foolin....

Proly you could put a live center in the turret, using it as a tail stock if
you had to. iirc, the beds weren't *that* short, and you could turn a shaft
mebbe 18" long or so.

For small parts (or at least some of the ops), proly the only way to go,
short of very expensive/sophisticated CNC, and then sometimes not even
then....

There's a shop in LI that has I think nearly a hundred of these chuckers,
does excellent work, usually ahead of deadline, if you can bleeve dat....
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Anthony" wrote in message
Mike Berger wrote in news:dre5j4$k4u$4
@roundup.shout.net:

How does a "chucker" lathe differ from other types?

I know about turret lathes, engine lathes, toolroom lathes...
I've tried to tell from pictures and references on the net,
but I still don't really know what a "chucker" is used for.

Hehe..what wild explinations in this thread.
Simply put Mike, a "chucker" is a lathe that has no tailstock. These are
normally production machines meant to run short-length parts, or collet
equiped machines.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ace

If memory serves me correctly, a Warner & Swasey 2S was defined as a
"chucker". I programmed same for a few months,
and it was equipped with a bar feeder. Had a 6-station tool turret.
Basically any job that could be fit into it's working
envolope was possible, whether starting from raw stock or follow up
operations.

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
In article , says...
How does a "chucker" lathe differ from other types?

I know about turret lathes, engine lathes, toolroom lathes...
I've tried to tell from pictures and references on the net,
but I still don't really know what a "chucker" is used for.

If you haven't figured it out yet, you're not going to get a straight
answer g. Chuckers can be single or multi-spindle, manual or
automatic, horizontal or vertical, big or little, pink or blue. I'd say
the only thing that all chuckers have in common is that semi-finished
parts are loaded singly (i.e., no bar feed), and there's some sort of
tool changer, or multiple tool stations in the case of a multi-spindle
machine.

In it's simplest manual form, I'm not sure where you'd draw the line
between a chucker and a turret lathe with no bar feed. I've owned both a
J&L saddle type turret lathe and a chucker similar to a Hardinge HC.
Except for the fact that the turret lathe must have weighed 15000
pounds, and the chucker perhaps 1500, it'd be difficult to draw a
distinction between them.

Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

"Anthony" wrote in message
Mike Berger wrote in news:dre5j4$k4u$4
@roundup.shout.net:

How does a "chucker" lathe differ from other types?

I know about turret lathes, engine lathes, toolroom lathes...
I've tried to tell from pictures and references on the net,
but I still don't really know what a "chucker" is used for.

Hehe..what wild explinations in this thread.
Simply put Mike, a "chucker" is a lathe that has no tailstock. These are
normally production machines meant to run short-length parts, or collet
equiped machines.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

If you put a piece of wood in a chucker do you get a wood chucker?

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

Ed Huntress wrote:

"John" wrote in message

If you put a piece of wood in a chucker do you get a wood chucker?

John

Two demerits, and no dessert for a week...

--
Ed Huntress

Just remember, in a couple of weeks it will be ground hog day here in
Punxsutawney pa.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

carl mciver wrote:

"John" wrote in message

| If you put a piece of wood in a chucker do you get a wood chucker?

If a wood chucker can chuck wood, what kind of wood could a wood chucker
chuck?

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Iron wood ?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

"John" wrote in message

| If you put a piece of wood in a chucker do you get a wood chucker?

If a wood chucker can chuck wood, what kind of wood could a wood chucker
chuck?

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"John" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

"John" wrote in message

If you put a piece of wood in a chucker do you get a wood chucker?

John

Two demerits, and no dessert for a week...

--
Ed Huntress

Just remember, in a couple of weeks it will be ground hog day here in
Punxsutawney pa.

Keep Gunner out of there. He has a lot of scoped rifles and knows where to
find recipes for groundhog.

Oh, and give Phil my regards.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

"Anthony" wrote in message
Mike Berger wrote in news:dre5j4$k4u$4
@roundup.shout.net:

How does a "chucker" lathe differ from other types?

I know about turret lathes, engine lathes, toolroom lathes...
I've tried to tell from pictures and references on the net,
but I still don't really know what a "chucker" is used for.

Hehe..what wild explinations in this thread.
Simply put Mike, a "chucker" is a lathe that has no tailstock. These are
normally production machines meant to run short-length parts, or collet
equiped machines.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

If you put a piece of wood in a chucker do you get a wood chucker?

John

If it's mounted vertically, do you have a up-chucker?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike

If you put a piece of wood in a chucker do you get a wood chucker?

If it's mounted vertically, do you have a up-chucker?

If it's mounted vertically you get a "vertical-up-chucker."

If it's and automatic you get a
"auto-vertical-up-chucker"

If it's a semi-auto, Mike Berger wants it banned.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

One period in a polo match, aka chukka.
Ducking, Tom
"xray" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 18:42:30 -0600, Wayne
wrote:

How many chuck keys can a lathe chuck chuck
when a lathe chuck chucks keys?

Very good, but shouldn't it be...

How many keys can a lathe chuck chuck
when a lathe chuck chucks chuck keys?

Shucks. Makes a bloke want to chuckle.
Yuck yuck yuck.

PS. I'm not Chuck.
(He IS my brother, though.)

Hmmm...

How many keys can Chuck leave in a lathe chuck
before the chuck chucks a key into Chuck?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 20:02:35 -0500, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

Yeah, most of them are Hardinge's, and the goddamm price *never* goes down!
Very nice to work on.

Chuckers..HCs..Hardinge..seem to be going for about $1000-1500 here in
California of late.

Often have handle-actuated turrets, sometimes a separate parting attachment,
and nice motorized powerfeed in x,y, continuously variable spindle speed,
coolant, you name it....
And inlaid *ivory* on the goddamm handles!! No foolin....

Proly you could put a live center in the turret, using it as a tail stock if
you had to. iirc, the beds weren't *that* short, and you could turn a shaft
mebbe 18" long or so.

For small parts (or at least some of the ops), proly the only way to go,
short of very expensive/sophisticated CNC, and then sometimes not even
then....

There's a shop in LI that has I think nearly a hundred of these chuckers,
does excellent work, usually ahead of deadline, if you can bleeve dat....

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Mike Berger says...

How does a "chucker" lathe differ from other types?

In short, chuckers don't have tailstocks, or tailstock turrets.

The turret is mounted on the bed, in place of a cross slide.

Basically if you took your standard southbend lathe, threw
out the tailstock, and mounted a four position toolpost on
the cross slide, that would be a primitive chucker.

Jim

please reply to: