Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ace

Default lathe classifications -- whats a chucker

If memory serves me correctly, a Warner & Swasey 2S was defined as a
"chucker". I programmed same for a few months,
and it was equipped with a bar feeder. Had a 6-station tool turret.
Basically any job that could be fit into it's working
envolope was possible, whether starting from raw stock or follow up
operations.

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
In article , says...
How does a "chucker" lathe differ from other types?

I know about turret lathes, engine lathes, toolroom lathes...
I've tried to tell from pictures and references on the net,
but I still don't really know what a "chucker" is used for.

If you haven't figured it out yet, you're not going to get a straight
answer g. Chuckers can be single or multi-spindle, manual or
automatic, horizontal or vertical, big or little, pink or blue. I'd say
the only thing that all chuckers have in common is that semi-finished
parts are loaded singly (i.e., no bar feed), and there's some sort of
tool changer, or multiple tool stations in the case of a multi-spindle
machine.

In it's simplest manual form, I'm not sure where you'd draw the line
between a chucker and a turret lathe with no bar feed. I've owned both a
J&L saddle type turret lathe and a chucker similar to a Hardinge HC.
Except for the fact that the turret lathe must have weighed 15000
pounds, and the chucker perhaps 1500, it'd be difficult to draw a
distinction between them.

Ned Simmons