Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

Default lathe classifications -- whats a chucker

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote:

Yeah, most of them are Hardinge's, and the goddamm price *never* goes down!
Very nice to work on.

Often have handle-actuated turrets, sometimes a separate parting attachment,
and nice motorized powerfeed in x,y, continuously variable spindle speed,
coolant, you name it....
And inlaid *ivory* on the goddamm handles!! No foolin....

Proly you could put a live center in the turret, using it as a tail stock if
you had to. iirc, the beds weren't *that* short, and you could turn a shaft
mebbe 18" long or so.

For small parts (or at least some of the ops), proly the only way to go,
short of very expensive/sophisticated CNC, and then sometimes not even
then....

There's a shop in LI that has I think nearly a hundred of these chuckers,
does excellent work, usually ahead of deadline, if you can bleeve dat....
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Anthony" wrote in message
Mike Berger wrote in news:dre5j4$k4u$4
@roundup.shout.net:

How does a "chucker" lathe differ from other types?

I know about turret lathes, engine lathes, toolroom lathes...
I've tried to tell from pictures and references on the net,
but I still don't really know what a "chucker" is used for.

Hehe..what wild explinations in this thread.
Simply put Mike, a "chucker" is a lathe that has no tailstock. These are
normally production machines meant to run short-length parts, or collet
equiped machines.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

If you put a piece of wood in a chucker do you get a wood chucker?

John