Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Boris Beizer

Default lathe classifications -- whats a chucker

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
How does a "chucker" lathe differ from other types?

I know about turret lathes, engine lathes, toolroom lathes...
I've tried to tell from pictures and references on the net,
but I still don't really know what a "chucker" is used for.

A chucker is a production machine. It may have multiple spindles. It has a
number of different tool holders and attachments that allows it to make many
different, complex parts. For example: bar stock is loaded, pushed out to
desired length, faced, and cut down to two different diameters. Then a ball
turner is applied to round off the middle, followed by drilling through with
several steps, o-ring grooves, and then cut off. It is like a screw
machine writ large. It is called a chucker because it typically feeds bar
stock through the spindle into a chuck.

Boris

--

Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email bsquare "at" earthlink.net