Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

Default Check in that shed ...

http://coolcatcorp.com/millerauction/MillerAuction.html
--
Clif
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking

Wow... I thought the days of finding treasures like that in old barns
were over.

Ed

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

If old Alex had died a few years later, those pieces would have gone for
six figures each on Ebay.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Cliff wrote:

http://coolcatcorp.com/millerauction/MillerAuction.html

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
myal

clay wrote:
Jon Elson wrote:

wrote:

Wow... I thought the days of finding treasures like that in old barns
were over.

Yeah! This guy had everything that wasn't already in a museum
in HIS barn! Sounds like EVERY last one!

Jon

What an idiot. buys up a bunch of rusting hulks, that would require a
kings ransom to restore all of them, and lets them rot in the barn. He's
thinking all along, "these are worth a fortune!" Ya, sure, maye if
anyone actually knew about them. what is even more amazing, it that even
stupider people were willing to spend rediculous amounts for them at
auction, which is going to make it even more dificult to restore them,
now that the same exact thing is going to happen. except that now, they
(the rusting cars) are spread out even more, and stashed away in other
barns, etc.... so that ten or so years from now, someone else, stupider
AND wealthier will repeat the cycle.

Had the old guy, even had the gumption, to restore just one, and then
sell it, instead of squirelling them away, like some greedy fool, he
probably could have kept an army of restorers busy on the others, and
kept the completed favorites, for himself......

stopid greedy dreamers. if your not gonna do anything with what you've
got, but sit around dreaming. then a least GIVE it away to someone else
who is gonna do something with it.....

ca

Check them again , they arent rusty hulks but look like they was stored
new .

Youre sounding very communist like with your views ya know ... wanting
to deny someone the right to own somethng because he isnt using it to
your ideals ...

Whats wrong with stashing stuff cos you like it ?

--
þÿOu(‚ñŠž
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Chilcoat

I think I might have been in that barn a few years ago. A friend who lived
in VT took me over to a neighbor's who had a barn like that. Old guy who
collected cars. I remember a Stutz and a Minerva, and a bunch of other
cars. I was only mildly interested, because my old car worship days are
long past. Now if he'd had a nice Stearman or a Stagger-wing Beech, I might
have taken more interest.

"Cliff" wrote in message
http://coolcatcorp.com/millerauction/MillerAuction.html
--
Clif

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

Default Stearman was Check in that shed ...

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:15:17 -0500, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

I think I might have been in that barn a few years ago. A friend who lived
in VT took me over to a neighbor's who had a barn like that. Old guy who
collected cars. I remember a Stutz and a Minerva, and a bunch of other
cars. I was only mildly interested, because my old car worship days are
long past. Now if he'd had a nice Stearman or a Stagger-wing Beech, I might
have taken more interest.

Hey Bob,

The Canadian Historical Aircraft Association group I belong to has a
Stearman, and it is used for fly-pasts and to take sight-seeing
flights on a reservation basis, if you are ever up Detroit way.
Located at CYQG in Windsor, Ontario.

And even after some terrible loss in a fire last year, "The Yankee Air
Force" has a bunch of stuff at Willow Run, and there is a fair size
museum in Hamilton, Ontario too, but sorry, no Stagger-Wing.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

| What an idiot. buys up a bunch of rusting hulks, that would require a
| kings ransom to restore all of them, and lets them rot in the barn. He's
| thinking all along, "these are worth a fortune!" Ya, sure, maye if
| anyone actually knew about them. what is even more amazing, it that even
| stupider people were willing to spend rediculous amounts for them at
| auction, which is going to make it even more dificult to restore them,
| now that the same exact thing is going to happen. except that now, they
| (the rusting cars) are spread out even more, and stashed away in other
| barns, etc.... so that ten or so years from now, someone else, stupider
| AND wealthier will repeat the cycle.

Hey, it's his time money, let him do whatever he wants with it!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

wrote:

[...]

I saw a Stagger-Wing being worked on at Willow Run about 5 yrs. ago.
They didn't lose it, did they? Kalamazoo has a nice collection.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"carl mciver" wrote in message
nk.net...
| What an idiot. buys up a bunch of rusting hulks, that would require a
| kings ransom to restore all of them, and lets them rot in the barn.
He's
| thinking all along, "these are worth a fortune!" Ya, sure, maye if
| anyone actually knew about them. what is even more amazing, it that
even
| stupider people were willing to spend rediculous amounts for them at
| auction, which is going to make it even more dificult to restore them,
| now that the same exact thing is going to happen. except that now,
they
| (the rusting cars) are spread out even more, and stashed away in other
| barns, etc.... so that ten or so years from now, someone else,
stupider
| AND wealthier will repeat the cycle.

Hey, it's his time money, let him do whatever he wants with it!

The man died with millions in his garage, in whatever form. That says
something about him.

I wonder what the idiot who did all the ranting will end up with in HIS barn
when he goes paws up on the bathroom floor.

Reminds me a bit of the movie, "Second Hand Lions."

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:15:17 -0500, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

SNIP

I saw a Stagger-Wing being worked on at Willow Run about 5 yrs. ago.
They didn't lose it, did they? Kalamazoo has a nice collection.

Pete Keillor

Hey Peter,

I really have no idea, but i don't think so. Maybe they were doing a
re-build for a private owner.

I have a friend who is a member, and he was crying when he told me
about the fire, so tough to know what he was saying, except that he
did say they lost invaluable manuals and documentation and archive
materials too. If you really care, I could ask for you.

http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org/

Take care.

Brian Lawson.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:15:17 -0500, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

SNIP

I saw a Stagger-Wing being worked on at Willow Run about 5 yrs. ago.
They didn't lose it, did they? Kalamazoo has a nice collection.

Pete Keillor

Hey Peter,

I really have no idea, but i don't think so. Maybe they were doing a
re-build for a private owner.

I have a friend who is a member, and he was crying when he told me
about the fire, so tough to know what he was saying, except that he
did say they lost invaluable manuals and documentation and archive
materials too. If you really care, I could ask for you.

http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org/

Take care.

Brian Lawson.

No, thanks for the offer. It was probably private, it looked like
routine maintenance, not a rebuild.

Pete Keillor
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Pope Secola VI

Bob Chilcoat wrote:
I think I might have been in that barn a few years ago. A friend who lived
in VT took me over to a neighbor's who had a barn like that. Old guy who
collected cars. I remember a Stutz and a Minerva, and a bunch of other
cars. I was only mildly interested, because my old car worship days are
long past. Now if he'd had a nice Stearman or a Stagger-wing Beech, I might
have taken more interest.

How about a N3N????

--
Censorship and Gun Control are the political equivalent of binding and
gagging a victim before raping and mugging them.

Such acts are carried out by the same thugs, one with a law degree from
a state pen, the other a law degree from a university for the same sick
perverted purposes which are to remove you from your property, liberty
and dignity, and bend you to will of others.
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking

myal wrote:
clay wrote:
Jon Elson wrote:

wrote:

Wow... I thought the days of finding treasures like that in old barns
were over.

Yeah! This guy had everything that wasn't already in a museum
in HIS barn! Sounds like EVERY last one!

Jon

What an idiot. buys up a bunch of rusting hulks, that would require a
kings ransom to restore all of them, and lets them rot in the barn. He's
thinking all along, "these are worth a fortune!" Ya, sure, maye if
anyone actually knew about them.

What is the use of a fortune if you don't spend some of it once in a
while?
This guy could be called a horder.
No plan but to keep getting "more."

What is even more amazing, it that even
stupider people were willing to spend rediculous amounts for them at
auction, which is going to make it even more dificult to restore them,

This matters little. He did do something of a service to history by
hording the things for posterity.

now that the same exact thing is going to happen. except that now, they
(the rusting cars) are spread out even more, and stashed away in other
barns, etc.... so that ten or so years from now, someone else, stupider
AND wealthier will repeat the cycle.

This seems to be the way automobile history is preserved.
At least it is one thing the government hasn't taken control of (yet.)

Had the old guy, even had the gumption, to restore just one, and then
sell it, instead of squirelling them away, like some greedy fool, he
probably could have kept an army of restorers busy on the others, and
kept the completed favorites, for himself......

No argument here. He could have had a museum instead of a storage yard,
or both.

stopid greedy dreamers. if your not gonna do anything with what you've
got, but sit around dreaming. then a least GIVE it away to someone else
who is gonna do something with it.....

ca

Seems that is what ultimately happened.
Nothing is mentioned about a will and where all the proceeds went
except a likely huge chunk to the IRS.
That's is the biggest crime here.
It erks the **** out of me that the government vultures can come in and
steal half or more of one's life's work in one fell swoop.
The other crime is that he would accept charity when he had assets to
support his habit. That is just plain immoral and rude.

Check them again , they arent rusty hulks but look like they was stored
new .

Some were, some were not.
He was buying 30,40,50 year old cars at least.
Many cars are worth more as originals rather than restored if in fair
shape.

Youre sounding very communist like with your views ya know ... wanting
to deny someone the right to own somethng because he isnt using it to
your ideals ...

Whats wrong with stashing stuff cos you like it ?

--
þÿOu(,ñŠž

Taking charity and feigning poverty with hundreds of thousands of
dollars in "stash" is immoral and pathological.
If he didn't leave more than he took to those who gave him "charity"
he's a criminal plain and simple.

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
North

wrote in message
oups.com...

Taking charity and feigning poverty with hundreds of thousands of
dollars in "stash" is immoral and pathological.
If he didn't leave more than he took to those who gave him "charity"
he's a criminal plain and simple.

Looked like a pile of junk to me and I'm sure that at the time tis guy
stashed this stuff, it was nothing more then 'worthless junk'

Here's a question:

I know I guy who owns a piece of land that was used as a landfill from 1790
to 1935. Now should the Government come in and tax him for owning valuable
antiques ? Because I'm sure that if one were to dig up some of the junk that
is that old landfill, one could become quite rich, I'm sure some of those
old bottle can fetch quite a large amount of money. I'm also sure that there
are thousands of antique toys and other items that are worth a fortune.

Just because someone has a 'junk pile' that happens to contain some valuable
stuff, does that make that person wealthy or lucky ?
And just because someone owns something that becomes valuable (due to time),
does that give the Government the right to tax that person ?

n.

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
myal

North wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

My land tax keeps going up , because as time goes on , the govt deems my
land gets more valuable .

--
þÿOu(‚ñŠž

Heat pump checkup - what to check? JohnH Home Repair 7 August 11th 05 01:15 AM
Shed wiring - OK [email protected] UK diy 5 April 13th 05 09:49 AM
Shed Electrics Quigs UK diy 20 January 26th 04 09:56 AM
shed electrics Matt Pearson UK diy 7 January 20th 04 09:32 PM
single check valve pressure drop Matthew Barnard UK diy 1 July 24th 03 08:00 PM