Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Errol Groff

Default Places of Interest Catalog

It has been quite a while since I solicited contributions to the
Places of Interest spreadsheet.

Did you visit someplace in 2005 that other readers of R.C.M. would
find interesting also? If so please send me a note about it and I
will add your information to the spreadsheet.

If this is the first you have heard about it please go to
www.neme-s.org and scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the
Places of Interest link.

Thanks for your interest and Happy New Year!

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

I suggest that you sort that spreadsheet by state, and then PDF it before
posting it on the Web site. Think of the XLS as your source code. Before you
know it, you might have dozens of copies running around the Web all pointing to
each other, all with errors you can do nothing about because someone else "took
over".

The sorting by state suggestion is because I think like this:

1. Hmm, I'm going to XXX
2. Wonder if there are any cool sites to see there?

Anyway, it's a good idea. Pretty discouraging that there aren't any metalworking
sites of interest in WA except Boeing Museum of Flight and the Boeing Everett
plant, neither of which really qualifies IMO.

Grant

Errol Groff wrote:

It has been quite a while since I solicited contributions to the
Places of Interest spreadsheet.

Did you visit someplace in 2005 that other readers of R.C.M. would
find interesting also? If so please send me a note about it and I
will add your information to the spreadsheet.

If this is the first you have heard about it please go to
www.neme-s.org and scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the
Places of Interest link.

Thanks for your interest and Happy New Year!

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Errol Groff

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:54:20 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I suggest that you sort that spreadsheet by state, and then PDF it before
posting it on the Web site. Think of the XLS as your source code. Before you
know it, you might have dozens of copies running around the Web all pointing to
each other, all with errors you can do nothing about because someone else "took
over".

The sorting by state suggestion is because I think like this:

1. Hmm, I'm going to XXX
2. Wonder if there are any cool sites to see there?

Anyway, it's a good idea. Pretty discouraging that there aren't any metalworking
sites of interest in WA except Boeing Museum of Flight and the Boeing Everett
plant, neither of which really qualifies IMO.

Grant

Grant: thank you for the suggestions. I have dumped the XLS file and
replaced it with two PDF, one by state and the other by alphabet.

Yesterday I received an email with a bunch of new places and I will be
adding them probably today. I will post a note when I am finished.

Errol

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

What? Nothing in Texas??
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Errol Groff

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 11:48:14 -0600, Rex B
wrote:

What? Nothing in Texas??
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Sorry Rex, I have never been to Texas but if you have something
interesting to add I welcome your thoughts.

TW I have just updated the files with many interesting places
suggested by Art.

Errol Groff

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

OK, I'll suggest these:

American IronHorse Motorcycle Company
4600 Blue Mound Road, Fort Worth, TX 76106
817.665.2000
Description
The American IronHorse facility, with its 224,000 square feet, enables
the company to accommodate manufacturing, engineering, paint department,
assembly line and polishing all at the same location while providing
adequate space for long-term growth.

Hours
Take the free tour every other Friday at 3:00 p.m. Reservations are
required. Please call 817.665.2000.
WW2 B17 in restoration at MEacham Field in North Fort Worth
Other historic aircraft and small aviation museum.
Last time I was there they were setting up a machine shop, looking for
someone to run the machines on a voluntary basis.

---------------------------------------- -
Midland-Odessa
CAF/WW2 Museum at the airport.
Aircraft were not accessible last fall, but normally are.
B17 and B24 (?) in restoration, about 20 nice historic aircraft.
---------------------------------
Petroleum museum on I20
Everything you wanted to know about exploration, drilling refining.

MAJOR BONUS: Jim Hall Chapparel wing opened in 2005. Jim's shop is in
Midland. All the cars (1 each) are on display, including the infamous
Sucker Car.
I will go here every time I'm in town.

Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Errol Groff wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 11:48:14 -0600, Rex B
wrote:

What? Nothing in Texas??
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Sorry Rex, I have never been to Texas but if you have something
interesting to add I welcome your thoughts.

TW I have just updated the files with many interesting places
suggested by Art.

Errol Groff

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:35:09 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Errol
Groff quickly quoth:

Grant: thank you for the suggestions. I have dumped the XLS file and
replaced it with two PDF, one by state and the other by alphabet.

PDF, by state:
That's probably marginally readable on an 11x17" piece of paper,
Errol, but it's not very readable on a 19" monitor. Also, your
"contributor" column wrapped to pages all by itself, pages 5-8.

Ditto the alphabetical PDF. Oops!

Perhaps it would be better to make those portrait style with narrower
columns and narrower margins while using a few more pages.
Just a thought.

--
If you turn the United States on its side,
everything loose will fall to California.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Errol Groff

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:33:18 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:35:09 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Errol
Groff quickly quoth:

Grant: thank you for the suggestions. I have dumped the XLS file and
replaced it with two PDF, one by state and the other by alphabet.

PDF, by state:
That's probably marginally readable on an 11x17" piece of paper,
Errol, but it's not very readable on a 19" monitor. Also, your
"contributor" column wrapped to pages all by itself, pages 5-8.

Ditto the alphabetical PDF. Oops!

Perhaps it would be better to make those portrait style with narrower
columns and narrower margins while using a few more pages.
Just a thought.

I had noticed that when I checked the up load. Hmmm. I will tend to
that tomorrow. Thanks for the head up.

Errol Groff
Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Errol Groff

Ok. Got the information compressed onto one page by shrinking a
couple of the columns.

Errol
Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

And it fits :-)
Had to take out the A4 tray and put in the 11x17! The big tray is letter naturally!

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Errol Groff wrote:
Ok. Got the information compressed onto one page by shrinking a
couple of the columns.

Errol
Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 14:17:12 -0600, Rex B
wrote:

[...]

Don't forget my favorite air museum, the Lone Star Flight Museum in
Galveston. http://www.lsfm.org/ It has one of the best collections
of flyable Grummans I've seen, in addition to lots of others. Just
click on the Aircraft Status board. I try to stop in there at least
once per year.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Errol Groff says...

Did you visit someplace in 2005 that other readers of R.C.M. would
find interesting also? If so please send me a note about it and I
will add your information to the spreadsheet.

I can't see your pdf files (my fault, not yours) but FWIW here's two:

The rhinebeck, ny, aerodrome:

http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/about_sitemap.htm

And also the uss ling, a ww2 submarine in hackensack nj:

http://www.njnm.com/index.html

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

In article ,
jim rozen wrote:

In article , Errol Groff says...

Did you visit someplace in 2005 that other readers of R.C.M. would
find interesting also? If so please send me a note about it and I
will add your information to the spreadsheet.

I can't see your pdf files (my fault, not yours) but FWIW here's two:

The rhinebeck, ny, aerodrome:

http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/about_sitemap.htm

Well worth a visit if you're an old airplane buff, WW1 vintage planes.
Heck, well worth it even if you're not any kind of airplane buff.

Great fun!

And also the uss ling, a ww2 submarine in hackensack nj:

http://www.njnm.com/index.html

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Errol Groff

Thanks guys. The listing has been updated and posted.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

4 places.
(only) :-)

In Ft. Worth : American Iron Horse Motorcycle Museum
WWII B17 at Meacham - was at Greater South West - pre DFW - but was fixed up by the good guys
(the REAL good guys - those that fixed them in the war!) and put on flatbed trucks for Ft. Worth.

Midland-Odessa - area - CAF/WWWII Museum and Petroleum Museum.

IIRC, on I30 - between Dallas and Ft. Worth - the old toll road - there is a Firetruck Museum.

Lufkin,Tx -
Down here there is the East Texas Museum and Texas Forestry Museum.
Have a very nice - and special Zoo on the north loop of town.
Birding trails .....

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Rex B wrote:
What? Nothing in Texas??
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

The Ammon Carter is in Ft. Worth - and some fine Museums are in Dallas.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Errol Groff wrote:

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 11:48:14 -0600, Rex B
wrote:

What? Nothing in Texas??
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Sorry Rex, I have never been to Texas but if you have something
interesting to add I welcome your thoughts.

TW I have just updated the files with many interesting places
suggested by Art.

Errol Groff

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
D Murphy

Errol Groff wrote in
:

It has been quite a while since I solicited contributions to the
Places of Interest spreadsheet.

Did you visit someplace in 2005 that other readers of R.C.M. would
find interesting also? If so please send me a note about it and I
will add your information to the spreadsheet.

I finally got around to visiting the New England Air Museum near Bradley
Field in Ct. this year.

http://www.neam.org/cont_about.htm

A lot of unique aircraft. Also some antique cars and military displays.
My son particularly enjoyed the PC computer flight simulators they have
set up.

While you are in the area of the air museum, Old Newgate Prison makes a
nifty side trip. It's very close by. The prison started out as a copper
mine in 1705 and was later converted to a prison in 1773. Spectacular
views from the back of the property so try to pick a clear day.

http://www.chc.state.ct.us/old_new.htm

I also enjoy the Illinois Railway Museum.

http://www.irm.org/

My wife usually ends up dragging me out of there. I could wander around
there all day. Loads of all sorts of rail cars, locomotives, trolleys and
electric cars of various vintages in all different stages of restoration.
I was let into the machine shop for a look-see just by asking one of the
volunteers working there.

--

Dan