Ben

Default HF Catalog vs Store Pricing

Can someone tell me why a item sold by Harbor Freight can have several
different prices? One in the catalog, and one in the store, and sometimes
one on the web? What the hell. I know the obvious answer. But is there
any other reason I'm missing? And do the stores honor the catalog pricing?

john moorhead

If you bring in the catalog or print out the website page with the price,
the store will usually honor the lowest price you can find.

I picked up their 4 speed chiwanese bandsaw for under $200, and it normally
sells for over $300. I've used the hell out of it and been very happy.

Hope this helps..

John Moorhead
Lakeport, CA

"Ben" wrote in message
. ..
Can someone tell me why a item sold by Harbor Freight can have several
different prices? One in the catalog, and one in the store, and sometimes
one on the web? What the hell. I know the obvious answer. But is there
any other reason I'm missing? And do the stores honor the catalog

pricing?

Bruce C.

On the web site, you can "fabricate" the extension to the part num and
sometimes come up with a better price. Either order through the web with
that PN or print it out and take it to the store. It works often enough to
keep me trying.

The local store frequently says that they are not obligated to sell the item
at the price listed on the web site, but the mgr always sells it to me for
the web price (after grumbling a little bit).

Bruce

"Ben" wrote in message
. ..
Can someone tell me why a item sold by Harbor Freight can have several
different prices? One in the catalog, and one in the store, and sometimes
one on the web? What the hell. I know the obvious answer. But is there
any other reason I'm missing? And do the stores honor the catalog

pricing?

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:11:23 -0400, "Ben"
pixelated:

Can someone tell me why a item sold by Harbor Freight can have several
different prices? One in the catalog, and one in the store, and sometimes
one on the web? What the hell. I know the obvious answer. But is there
any other reason I'm missing? And do the stores honor the catalog pricing?

They're called "sales", sir. They try different prices to see which
bring in the crowds, cycling them every few months. If you ever see
something on sale there for half price and miss the sale, wait a few
months and it'll be offered again.

If you take the printouts of the website pages (with date/price/stock
number) they'll honor them. If you take print catalogs in they'll
honor them. They won't honor anything not in print, period, at least
from my experience.

When in doubt, ask them for a product with a -4VGA suffix, their best
sale price.

give me The Luxuries Of Life * http://www.diversify.com
i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online
Digger

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

-4VGA is not always the best price. If you play with the numbers, you will
find more often than not that -3vga for larger items and sometimes -5vga for
smaleer items that go on sale often, will give lower prices. It pays to
take a couple of minutes to hit all the numbers between 0 and 7 (the highest
discount number I have found). Many times they skip numbers in the middle.

As far as the mgr who grumbled at giving you the good price, saying they
don't have to honor it, just tell him that you don't have to honor him with
his business. He's there for you, not the other wy around! It's amazing
how many of them need to be reminded. I start each day asking myself how I
can earn the right to do business with my customers and I never have the
problems of not taking care of my customers.

Digger

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 23:32:03 -0500, "Digger" DW pixelated:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

When in doubt, ask them for a product with a -4VGA suffix, their best
sale price.

-4VGA is not always the best price. If you play with the numbers, you will

I retract that after seeing how they're -now- doing things.
The VGA numbers bounce all over the place. Maybe they found
out that too many folks were on to their game and mixed it up.

find more often than not that -3vga for larger items and sometimes -5vga for
smaleer items that go on sale often, will give lower prices. It pays to
take a couple of minutes to hit all the numbers between 0 and 7 (the highest
discount number I have found). Many times they skip numbers in the middle.

Ah, good idea, try all the combos online first, then hit the store.

As far as the mgr who grumbled at giving you the good price, saying they
don't have to honor it, just tell him that you don't have to honor him with
his business. He's there for you, not the other wy around! It's amazing
how many of them need to be reminded. I start each day asking myself how I
can earn the right to do business with my customers and I never have the
problems of not taking care of my customers.

That's an excellent way to start your day. I try to do the same.

give me The Luxuries Of Life * http://www.diversify.com
i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online
JOAT

"Ben" wrote in message ...
Can someone tell me why a item sold by Harbor Freight can have several
different prices? One in the catalog, and one in the store, and sometimes
one on the web? What the hell. I know the obvious answer. But is there
any other reason I'm missing? And do the stores honor the catalog pricing?

Why are so many wreckers bitches and moaning about costs nowadays? Too
many cheap assholes trying to save a dollar and jerks that are looking
for the easiest way to get something done.

"Life aint nothin' but twinks and chinks!" (Sexy gay young men and
Chinese food!) -JOAT (Jerk-Off All Twinks)
Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
Ben wrote:
Can someone tell me why a item sold by Harbor Freight can have several
different prices? One in the catalog, and one in the store, and sometimes
one on the web? What the hell. I know the obvious answer. But is there
any other reason I'm missing?

Because that's the way they have decided to run their business.

And do the stores honor the catalog pricing?

At lease some of them do.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland