Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default cutting torch guide with "clockwork" speed control

I recently read "Shop Savvy" by I think Mountebank, and in it he goes on about
how to do precision cutting with a cutting torch. He describes a torch guide
which holds the torch a constant distance above the workpiece, which guides its
movement in a straight line, and which uses a "clockwork" to control speed. I
posted this recently, inquiring how this might have worked. Well, anyway one
closed on ebay tonight (no I didn't win the auction). I saved the auction image:
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/tem...kworkGuide.jpg

The auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7569088405) text
says the item was made in Sweden.

I'd be real interested to know how this works.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bugs

I saw a similar machine, run with a variable speed motor, in Los
Angeles many years ago. They were cutting the 8 ft. dia. base gear for
a dragline out of 8" thick plate with a template. Very impressive.
Bugs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Keith Marshall

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
how to do precision cutting with a cutting torch. He describes a torch
guide which holds the torch a constant distance above the workpiece, which
guides its movement in a straight line, and which uses a "clockwork" to
control speed. I posted this recently, inquiring how this might have
worked. Well, anyway one

Are you specifically interested in the "clockwork" mechanism or in the idea
of a guided torch for precision cutting? I can't help you with the
clockwork but the track torch has been around for quite a while and I've
even run across a few at auctions. Here's more info:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Track-torch-burn...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.esabcutting.com/products/.../ultraline.cfm

http://www.bugo.com/pdf/gofbroc.pdf

There is also a pattern tracing version that uses a motor with a magnetic
roller on it to follow the outside edge of a metal pattern a move the torch.
In fact there's a book available that has plans for one along with a few
other tools that are handy in the shop like a hydraulic press and sheetmetal
brake IIRC. I have a copy somewhere and will see if I can find it if you
want the title and author.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Sterling

I recently read "Shop Savvy" by I think Mountebank, and in it he goes on about
how to do precision cutting with a cutting torch. He describes a torch guide
which holds the torch a constant distance above the workpiece, which guides its
movement in a straight line, and which uses a "clockwork" to control speed. I
posted this recently, inquiring how this might have worked. Well, anyway one
closed on ebay tonight (no I didn't win the auction). I saved the auction image:
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/tem...kworkGuide.jpg

The auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7569088405) text
says the item was made in Sweden.

I'd be real interested to know how this works.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Grant,
Possibly some kind of "friction wheel" (designed in a "bulldozer
track" shape to promote straight travel) and speed controlled by a
governor of sorts inside the housing?
Ken.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

This unit appears to do only circles of adjustable radius.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Grant Erwin wrote:

I recently read "Shop Savvy" by I think Mountebank, and in it he goes on
about how to do precision cutting with a cutting torch. He describes a
torch guide which holds the torch a constant distance above the
workpiece, which guides its movement in a straight line, and which uses
a "clockwork" to control speed. I posted this recently, inquiring how
this might have worked. Well, anyway one closed on ebay tonight (no I
didn't win the auction). I saved the auction image:
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/tem...kworkGuide.jpg

The auction
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7569088405) text
says the item was made in Sweden.

I'd be real interested to know how this works.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ernie Leimkuhler

In article ,
Grant Erwin wrote:

[...]

Koike sells a cutting torch with a small crawler built in.

http://www.koike.com/products/portablecutting/m_handyauto.asp?CatID=205|
ZA4011103

Here is the newer version of the cutter I have.

http://www.koike.com/products/portablecutting/t_beaver.asp?CatID=205|bea
ver

Mine was made in Germany in the 60's, and called a Cub Cadet.

http://www.stagesmith.com/gallery/sh...ner/index.html

--
"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

I've seen one of the magnetic pattern tracers here
http://www.lowbucktools.com/flamecut.html
http://www.lowbucktools.com/fckit.html .

Looks like it would be simple to replicate.

Keith Marshall wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Keith Marshall wrote:
In fact there's a book available that has plans for one along with a few
other tools that are handy in the shop like a hydraulic press and sheetmetal
brake IIRC. ...

"Racer's Guide to Fabricating Shop Equipment" ?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Keith Marshall

In fact there's a book available that has plans for one along with a few
other tools that are handy in the shop like a hydraulic press and
sheetmetal brake IIRC. ...

"Racer's Guide to Fabricating Shop Equipment" ?

That's the one, thanks!

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 20:19:37 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Bob
Engelhardt quickly quoth:

Keith Marshall wrote:
In fact there's a book available that has plans for one along with a few
other tools that are handy in the shop like a hydraulic press and sheetmetal
brake IIRC. ...

"Racer's Guide to Fabricating Shop Equipment" ?

What's your take on the book, Bob? Amazon.com's lone reviewer didn't
like it at all. Wow, just 53 pages?

"Reviewer: Jim Rinaudo (Gulf Shores, al USA)
....The publication is outdated and shows how to make items that are
available for much less from discounters like Harbor Freight or Great
Northern. The only plan that may be useful is the flame cutter and the
brake but the brake sells for about 300 bucks and there are plans
available for all these on the internet. Save your money"

For a 20-year-old book, it sure kept its resale value. They're $20
new, $18 used!

Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Larry Jaques wrote:
What's your take on the book, Bob?...

I actually don't own it - just stumbled across it. I agree with your
take about a lot of money for the size. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Keith Marshall wrote:

In fact there's a book available that has plans for one along with a few
other tools that are handy in the shop like a hydraulic press and sheetmetal
brake IIRC. ...

"Racer's Guide to Fabricating Shop Equipment" ?

What's your take on the book, Bob? Amazon.com's lone reviewer didn't
like it at all. Wow, just 53 pages?

"Reviewer: Jim Rinaudo (Gulf Shores, al USA)
...The publication is outdated and shows how to make items that are
available for much less from discounters like Harbor Freight or Great
Northern. The only plan that may be useful is the flame cutter and the
brake but the brake sells for about 300 bucks and there are plans
available for all these on the internet. Save your money"

For a 20-year-old book, it sure kept its resale value. They're $20
new, $18 used!

I suggest checking it out at your local library. If they don't have it, maybe
it's time to learn how to request an interlibrary loan. Books like this are only
worth the money if you're sure you'll go back to them again and again. I'm
almost certainly only interested in the flame cutter, and that could easily be
photocopied or scanned and saved without actually purchasing the book.

GWE

Dewalt DW423 - Bypass Speed Control - Convert to Single Speed baumgrenze Woodworking 9 March 23rd 21 09:51 PM
help with fan speed control jim Electronics Repair 1 March 16th 05 02:22 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Router Speed Control - How does this work? Jack Erbes Metalworking 20 October 30th 03 05:49 AM
gas or not? Joe Metalworking 11 July 29th 03 09:29 AM