Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default How'd I do?

Awl--

A'ight...
I think I'm oh-ficial now--still a hack machinist, but an *oh-ficial* hack
machinist--cuz, well, now I got a Bridgeport! Yes indeedy... and a
Kalamazoo saw, and a Hariq surface grinder. wow....

The BP nearly fell off the lift-gate truck delivering it! The lift gate
actually just *dropped to the ground*, essentially cushioning the fall of
said BP! goodgawd...

Sed BP is a 1.5 hp varispeed J head (more ways to tilt that head than you
can shake a stick at), powerfeed in Y, pump lube, chromed ways, about a
dozen r8 collets, horizontal drive head.
Ahm no 'spert in BPs, proly won't use it much, but boyoboy, it sure is
perty!

The Kalamazoo is *kick-ass*, a 9x16 hydraulic automatic-feed cut-off saw, 1"
blade, w/ re-circulating coolant & pump; wow.... Old, really been worked,
but set up properly, you can cut material to within about .010, repeatedly.
Also has a "cut counter" as well, variable speed, blade brush, spray coolant
before and after cut. Plus about 4 blades, no cheap item for this saw
(130.5", .030).
Really a production saw--also don't know when ahma use this, either... but,
it sure is perty!

The Hariq is a 612 (6x12?) surface grinder, w/ magnetic chuck . Very nicely
made, it seems, very high quality castings. Gotta rewire it from 208 to
230, some other stuff, but basically in great shape. Not only is it sure
perty, I might actually use it perty soon!

All for $2500. Plus goddamm rigging.... about another $500.
Oh yeah, and I had to set up the guy's replacement Kalamazoo, a real
beaut--same design as the above, just newer everything--and *clean*! Real
workhorses, these saws.

So how'd I do? Not bad, I think, esp. as I know the guy very well, know
that Kalamazoo very well, and have seen other comparable stuff at effing
outrageous prices.

Will undoubtedly have a million Q's on this stuff, but for now I just gotta
clean it up--what a mess!
Well, ackshooly, d'Wife will be cleaning it up.

I think she's actually getting the machining bug--mebbe I'll get some free
labor out of her...
I hope so, so's mebbe she'll stop watching goddamm HGTV ( How Gauche TV?),
and mebbe stop bugging the **** out of me for all those bull**** Fantasy
Renovations.
Anyone have a clue as to just how much Chico's oh-so chic fukn pot lighting
costs??????? goodgawd...
..
Ackshooly, she's so grateful that, at over 40, I 1. still don't drink 2.
I have not yet decided to start the next great R&R band (like her friends'
sorry-assed untalented hubbies), and 3. that my ass is not (yet) sagging
(visavis David Caruso's ass, on NYPD Blue--goodgawd...), that she
*cheerfully* tolerates my shop habit.
Don't make me whip out my Blues harmonica.....
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Awl--

A'ight...
I think I'm oh-ficial now--still a hack machinist, but an *oh-ficial* hack
machinist--cuz, well, now I got a Bridgeport! Yes indeedy... and a
Kalamazoo saw, and a Hariq surface grinder. wow....

The BP nearly fell off the lift-gate truck delivering it! The lift gate
actually just *dropped to the ground*, essentially cushioning the fall of
said BP! goodgawd...

YOW! I've moved my Bridgeport 3 times with lift gate trucks, and each
time it went totally smoothly. I DID make a big point of telling
the truck rental people what I was moving, and made sure they thought
the particular lift gate was adequate for an 1800 Lb machine. One of
them was a bit worn, and the gate tilted a bit as it was moving, so one
of us got in the truck and held a rope tied to the machine. The idea
was to hold the machine from sliding on the slick diamond plate gate.
I don't know if that was even necessary, and we knew if it was more
than a slight shift in position, one guy would have no chance of holding
on to it.

[...]

WOW! That's a good deal.

Jon

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

the particular lift gate was adequate for an 1800 Lb machine. One of
them was a bit worn, and the gate tilted a bit as it was moving, so one

1800? Are you sure? I thought they were closer to 3000.

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Dave Lyon wrote:
the particular lift gate was adequate for an 1800 Lb machine. One of
them was a bit worn, and the gate tilted a bit as it was moving, so one

1800? Are you sure? I thought they were closer to 3000.

Actually, mine is a very old machine, and lighter. The Series I
with 2J head, Vee ram and 42" table has a shipping weight of 2180
Lbs, as listed in Bridgeport's sales literature. I don't know what
the actual weight of the machine is, but my guess is a pallet doesn't
contribute more than 100 Lbs or so of the shipping weight.
The Series-II manual machine has a shipping weight of 4750 Lbs.

An old catalog lists the round-ram 1J head machine as 1500 Lbs.

These are the manual machine weights I'm giving here. I converted
mine myself, and the machine itself didn't gain a whole lot of
weight in the conversion.

Jon

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

How does one know what machine they have?
I see a J stamped on the front, but not J1 or J2 or series I or II.

That's a big diff, from 2180 to 4750! What accounts for it?
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Dave Lyon wrote:
the particular lift gate was adequate for an 1800 Lb machine. One of
them was a bit worn, and the gate tilted a bit as it was moving, so one

1800? Are you sure? I thought they were closer to 3000.

Actually, mine is a very old machine, and lighter. The Series I
with 2J head, Vee ram and 42" table has a shipping weight of 2180
Lbs, as listed in Bridgeport's sales literature. I don't know what
the actual weight of the machine is, but my guess is a pallet doesn't
contribute more than 100 Lbs or so of the shipping weight.
The Series-II manual machine has a shipping weight of 4750 Lbs.

An old catalog lists the round-ram 1J head machine as 1500 Lbs.

These are the manual machine weights I'm giving here. I converted
mine myself, and the machine itself didn't gain a whole lot of
weight in the conversion.

Jon

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
How does one know what machine they have?
I see a J stamped on the front, but not J1 or J2 or series I or II.

That's a big diff, from 2180 to 4750! What accounts for it?

IIRC the Series II machines were more of a C frame design. The column was
much more substantial.
I had one in 1980 but it was a CNC. I think the machine was pretty much the
same however.
If you can believe it, I paid 27,500.00 for a computer and Easy Cam from
Bridgeport in addition to the machine tool.
The computer ran CPM 86 and I don't remember it having a hard drive at all.
Maybe it did.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Koz

John R. Carroll wrote:

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

How does one know what machine they have?
I see a J stamped on the front, but not J1 or J2 or series I or II.

That's a big diff, from 2180 to 4750! What accounts for it?

IIRC the Series II machines were more of a C frame design. The column was
much more substantial.
I had one in 1980 but it was a CNC. I think the machine was pretty much the
same however.
If you can believe it, I paid 27,500.00 for a computer and Easy Cam from
Bridgeport in addition to the machine tool.
The computer ran CPM 86 and I don't remember it having a hard drive at all.
Maybe it did.

FYI, speaking of series II machines....Boeing surplus in Kent WA has a
big un (manual) with some some of problem on the floor for 2 grand. 25%
discoount on the sticker price (I believe it applies to machines)
through tomorrow. Table stays put while turning the y handle is the
problem I saw (free spinning). Might be a good machine for a tinkerer
who wants one...although the price is still a little high. Didn't look
as beat as most surplus Boeing machines do.

Koz

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

John,

If you can believe it, I paid 27,500.00 for a computer and Easy Cam from
Bridgeport in addition to the machine tool.
The computer ran CPM 86 and I don't remember it having a hard drive at all.
Maybe it did.

The price was not all that crazy when you think about the size of the
market. Also, the A/D hardware that would be required was not nearly so
common as it is now. If it helps any, I recall hearing of someone
paying almost that much for amounts to Fred Flintstone's idea of a
calculator; IIRC, that was c 1970.

Back to your computer, it could easily have been floppy only.

Bill
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 13:27:09 GMT, Bill Schwab
wrote:

John,

If you can believe it, I paid 27,500.00 for a computer and Easy Cam from
Bridgeport in addition to the machine tool.
The computer ran CPM 86 and I don't remember it having a hard drive at all.
Maybe it did.

The price was not all that crazy when you think about the size of the
market. Also, the A/D hardware that would be required was not nearly so
common as it is now. If it helps any, I recall hearing of someone
paying almost that much for amounts to Fred Flintstone's idea of a
calculator; IIRC, that was c 1970.

I know of a rather good mathematics department that had a Monroe
programmable calculator (computer) by 1966 that cost that much in
1966 dollars.
This looks very similar IIRC:
http://www.vintagecalculators.com/ht...epic_3000.html

Noted as having "delay line memory":
http://www.vintagecalculators.com/ht...hnologies.html

[
In a delay line memory the 1's and 0's of the binary data are
converted to acoustic pulses at one end of a coil of wire. These
acoustic pulses travel at the speed of sound in the wire to the other
end where they are converted back to an electrical signal and with
amplification back into the original binary data. The binary data is
effectively "stored" on the wire during the fraction of a second that
the pulses take to travel the length of the wire. By continuously
feeding the binary data back into the delay line a quantity of data
can be stored indefinitely, or can be overwritten by new data.

In practice, delay line memories usually operate in torsion mode
rather than compressive mode.
]

I did not know of that .....
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Cliff,

I know of a rather good mathematics department that had a Monroe
programmable calculator (computer) by 1966 that cost that much in
1966 dollars.
This looks very similar IIRC:
http://www.vintagecalculators.com/ht...epic_3000.html

The thing I have in mind was (I think) one piece, and looked like an
overgrown calculator. It's not surprising there were other
configurations, also, I think the one I saw was newer by several years,
so it would make sense that it would do more and be smaller (but by no
means small).

[
In a delay line memory the 1's and 0's of the binary data are
converted to acoustic pulses at one end of a coil of wire. These
acoustic pulses travel at the speed of sound in the wire to the other
end where they are converted back to an electrical signal and with
amplification back into the original binary data. The binary data is
effectively "stored" on the wire during the fraction of a second that
the pulses take to travel the length of the wire. By continuously
feeding the binary data back into the delay line a quantity of data
can be stored indefinitely, or can be overwritten by new data.
In practice, delay line memories usually operate in torsion mode
rather than compressive mode.
]

I did not know of that .....

Neither did I - thanks for posting it. Juggling as a storage technology

Bill

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 17:39:09 -0800, Koz
wrote:

John R. Carroll wrote:

[...]

In So. Cal, I can probably get someone a hellava deal on a Syzouka
knee mill...about like a Series II, with a fully functional Dynapath
10 control on it, for just about the cost to have it rigged out of the
owners shop. Plus a tip for me..

Runs but the spindle is noisey. Probably needs spindle bearings. CNC
in all three axis of course, no tool changer.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick

Cliff wrote:
[
In a delay line memory the 1's and 0's of the binary data are
converted to acoustic pulses at one end of a coil of wire. These
acoustic pulses travel at the speed of sound in the wire to the other
end where they are converted back to an electrical signal and with
amplification back into the original binary data. The binary data is
effectively "stored" on the wire during the fraction of a second that
the pulses take to travel the length of the wire. By continuously
feeding the binary data back into the delay line a quantity of data
can be stored indefinitely, or can be overwritten by new data.

In practice, delay line memories usually operate in torsion mode
rather than compressive mode.
]

I did not know of that .....

Havent been following this thread BUT FYI on the subject of "delay
line storage" :
I worked on a radar set ( CPS 6-B ) circa 1952/3, That used a
mercury filled delay line to store the video (analog) return of
one sweep and compared it to the following sweep to cancel out
returns that did not move. Called MTI, Moving Target Indicator.
...lew...

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Acoustic delay line - what an idea. I had a glass fiber optical 4K bits delay line once.

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Cliff wrote:
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 13:27:09 GMT, Bill Schwab
wrote:

John,

[...]

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking

what was fiber optic "delay line" used for?

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

It was built before semi invented memory - even the 64bit from TI in TTL.
The logic was in RTL and discrete.
It was the main working memory while two slices of CORE memory held the program.
It was in a somewhat dumb modem network billing at a motel chain.
I got it as scrap after a monster storm like this year - went through the Gulf coast.
Gosh - I had a TTY for a 'monitor' at the time - writing Banner and Blazer, calendar...
programs in 8080 machine code - pre-basic days and such. Oh - I had 1KB of memory
in the machine - up from 256k - new semi. In a year I was up to 4ks and got finally
56k before stopping dumping bucks.

Never got the fiber optic to run - but there was little time in those days.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

what was fiber optic "delay line" used for?

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:32:33 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Never got the fiber optic to run - but there was little time in those days.

I would have thought of fiber optics as being later ....
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

You are thinking of network stuff.
Oh - Just remembered it was GLASS fiber - what I meant was the material
between the ground and the center wire is Glass not plastic like now.
Bummer - glass delay line is what it was called.

In reality, a 4096 cycle length for a recycled loop.

oops.
Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

wrote:

Never got the fiber optic to run - but there was little time in those days.

I would have thought of fiber optics as being later ....

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 21:36:04 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Oh - Just remembered it was GLASS fiber - what I meant was the material
between the ground and the center wire is Glass not plastic like now.
Bummer - glass delay line is what it was called.

It was a coaxial cable? With glass fibers as the
insulation/dielectric?
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking