Shawn Wilson

Default how'd they do that -> puzzle boxes

On a recent trip to Mexico I saw some neat puzzle boxes. They were seemingly
simlar to this one in terms of the number of cuts and functionality:

http://www.cleverwood.com/burlpuzzlebox_g.htm

Could somebody talk me through the process of making this? I don't understand
how the first piece was cut out (the piece at the far right of the bottom
picture), as the cut doesn't appear to go all the way through to the bottom of
the box. Ditto the piece on the far left. I'm assuming that all 4 pieces were
made from a single piece of wood and that they didn't just saw the bottom off,
make the cuts, and glue it back on ( I don't see any marks) but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Shawn
Shawn Wilson

http://www.gtcreations.com/appleseed/

Dang. I was hoping there was some exotic tool or technique or something.
That takes the magic out of it. But at least now I know I'm theoretically
capable of making one.

Also, on the site that I mentioned before there's a bunch of other types of
boxes with locks (you have to spin the box or knock on it or wave a magnet
at the right spot to unlock) Anyone have a website that explains how they
work? I can picture some of it in theory, but I'm light on practical
(keeping mechanisms from sticking as wood expands, etc.)...

Thanks,
Shawn
--
Shawn Wilson

http://www.GlassGiant.com

Storage Boxes Similar to old Rubbermaid -- where buy ? James Nipper Home Repair 4 May 15th 04 01:26 AM
Storage Boxes Similar to old Rubbermaid -- where buy ? James Nipper Home Ownership 6 May 15th 04 01:26 AM
Building code: Electrical boxes back-to-back, how many _firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us Home Ownership 1 March 15th 04 07:34 PM
PUZZLE BOXES T. Woodworking 0 October 23rd 03 11:26 PM
Kitchen cabents using Mills Pride boxes and custom made doors / drawer fronts David Jensen Woodworking 9 August 6th 03 04:15 AM