Shawn Wilson

Default how'd they do that -> puzzle boxes

On a recent trip to Mexico I saw some neat puzzle boxes. They were seemingly
simlar to this one in terms of the number of cuts and functionality:

http://www.cleverwood.com/burlpuzzlebox_g.htm

Could somebody talk me through the process of making this? I don't understand
how the first piece was cut out (the piece at the far right of the bottom
picture), as the cut doesn't appear to go all the way through to the bottom of
the box. Ditto the piece on the far left. I'm assuming that all 4 pieces were
made from a single piece of wood and that they didn't just saw the bottom off,
make the cuts, and glue it back on ( I don't see any marks) but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Shawn